PDA

View Full Version : Quad Accident

Batch
01-30-2010, 03:12 PM
I kinda been debating whether to post about this or not. I finally decided it might allow someone else to learn from my mistakes.

I was talking to my friend about how you can get into a survival situation where even the stuff in your pack might not be of any use. He is the sort that already knows everything and can't see himself ever being in a position where he needs any help or survival skills.

I told him about a hiker who filed a plan for a solo hike. But, deviated from his trail to go down by a lake. He was walking down some large boulders and he slipped when one of the boulders shifted. His leg was pinned and I think he dropped his pack. He wrote of his oredeal and was found on the day he died.

Told him about that other guy that had something simular happen and he cut off his own arm.

Since we ride quads a lot. I told him about a story where a guy who knew better went riding by his self and had a mild spill and the quad ended up on top of him and he was fine. But, he couldn't get the leverage to move the quad or reach any of his other stuff. My friend was certain that he could ALWAYS get out from under a quad and none of that could happen to him.

It actually was also a talk on redundancy such as pocket carry, pack carry and quad carry.

Anyway, we went down to renew our ORV permits for Big Cypress National Preserve last Friday. We set up camp at Bear Island and then went riding. Came back cooked up a nice venison dinner. In the evening my son and his friends showed up and we decided on a night ride. We headed out tp the rock pile.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/bigcypress/CIMG0586.jpg

We were just taking turns riding around the pile and up the steep end shown in that picture. No problems.

Well, I went to take a slow right turn maybe a little to far up on a narrow slope at the bottom. If you imagine the ramp like structure a dump truck creates as it backs up a hill and dumps its load. That is what I was on. The least steep angle.

Anyway I don't know what caused it to dump. But, my quad rolled over and I must have tried to jump clear. My brother saw the whole thing and he can't say what I did wrong. Only that I was going slow and it turned over with me and the quad rolling to the left downhill.

He thought it was funny at first. He and my son ran over and I was trapped under the quad. Me lying face down. Now, not even my friend said I would have been able to get out of there by myself. I was pinned.

They righted to quad and found me unconscious. They argued on whether to move me or not. In the end the sat me up because I was trying to get up myself. They said I sat there for a while and then tried to stand and so they helped me up. They said I was talking but not very coherent and my eyes were glazed over.

The fact is if I had been alone and that had happened I probably would have set right there until someone decided to take that particular back country trail. We never see people on that trail. People use it. But, not enough where you see other on the trail while your on it.

I don't know if I could access my pockets or quad pack. I did have enough in the rear cargo to keep me good warm, dry, hydrated and fed till alarms would have been sounded when I didn't return. But, I don't know if I could have reached them or even the cell phone in my pocket.

One thing everyone saw right away. If that had happened in a wet area I would have drowned the way I was pinned and unconscious.

Well, everyone but my friend who said he wouldn't drown. Because the water would wake him up when his face hit. :innocent:

Bruised ribs, mild concussion, high enzyme levels due to tissue damage from massive blunt trauma. Got a ruined weekend of riding and missed most of the week from work.

PS Quad is fine. :cool2:

Ken
01-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Batch, I don't think you learned a thing you didn't already know. However, I you did experience something that you were already aware could easily happen. Too bad your friend hasn't learned from your earlier conversations OR your recent experience.

I'm glad you survived this one okay! Thanks for posting - maybe SOMEONE will learn something from your advice.

Rick
01-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks for posting. I think it shows how little wrong you have to do to wind up in a bad situation. We can all envision the car wrecks or falling down a ravine but we forget about the twisted or broken ankle just stepping over the log in the path or wrenching your back because you walked face first into a spider web. It's always the stupid stuff that gets us.

I'm glad you're okay and I'm glad the quad is okay. Your friend, on the other hands, is living in the wrong dimension.

hunter63
01-30-2010, 03:37 PM
Thanks for posting.
Glad you and the quad are O.K. as well.........
We all need a reminder as stuff happens real fast, no matter what you are prepped for.

Pal334
01-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the dose of reality. Glad you and the bike got out relatively unscathed

Rick
01-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Klkak! Oh, klkak!!! You might want to look at this post. You never know when a quad accident could happen. Or a couple of them. :innocent:

Ole WV Coot
01-30-2010, 05:34 PM
That's why I never ride alone, seen them roll into the lake, over hills and and just about everywhere. We don't change trails until we are all together nor leave anyone behind. Just takes a sec and I may get a little heavy on the gas but stupid I ain't.

Batch
01-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Yeah, that was one of the reasons my buddy and I were talking about the guy that flipped his quad and got trapped. I really want to get out there more. But, people are always backing out or I don't have enough quads.

But, your right. We talk about where we are going and we ride in a group.

My brother and a couple of our freinds bought adjoining acerage up in Maddison county, Fl. They had a guy ask if he could take a quad to the end of the road and back. When they went to look for him they couldn't find him. Then someone noticed a faint trail into the tall grass. He had for some reason went way out into a grassy area and hit a rock or stump and went air borne. He was messed up and the quad was totaled. They hung it from a chain hooked to the bucket of a backhoe as a lesson to other people who ride.

crashdive123
01-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Good post.

Glad the quad is OK.

Rick
01-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Snow machines can be just as bad. I had a buddy that went zipping across a snowy field to find out where the barbed wire fence was on the other side. He was in the hospital a couple of weeks over that.

klkak
01-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Klkak! Oh, klkak!!! You might want to look at this post. You never know when a quad accident could happen. Or a couple of them. :innocent:

Yes Rick, I am only to aware of what can happen to someone on a wheeler. I am a blessed man to have had AKS with me when my accident happened. I had all the gear I needed and it was all within reach because I had it on my person. I might point out that one of the most important items (the water proof tarp) was in my pack which was on my back. If AKS had not been there I don't think I could have gotten the pack off my back. Also note that I truly believe that had I been alone that night I would not have made it off the mountain.

To this day every time I ride that trail (which is often) and see that hill I get sick to my stomach.

10 miles from cell service
26 miles from the nearest road
80 miles by air to the hospital
Having a level headed friend with me........priceless!!!

Maybe one day AKS will put down in writing what happened that night from his point of view.

The first pic was taken the day after the accident. My wheeler is the one to the right of the trail at the beginning of the hill where is landed. I ended up on the other side of the trail. The second pic is of me on the hill one year to the day after the accident.

Ken
01-31-2010, 01:11 AM
Klkak, Rick only posted that to upset you, and I'm sure he succeeded. :sneaky2:

I have no doubt that, at this very moment, you're vividly reliving the pain and horror of your accident. I have no doubt that you are shaking, and that you will suffer a number of physical maifestations because, and ONLY because, Rick INTENTIONALLY re-traumatized you with his post. You will lose your appetite and drop several pounds of weight. You will awaken night after night in the middle of never-ending nightmares. You will tremble with anxiety and suffer panic attacks and shortness of breath several times each day. You will break out in hives and suffer from profuse prespiration. Your primary medical doctor and psychiatrist will both attribute your symptoms solely to Rick's vile actions. Your medical bills will run in the tens, or even hundreds, of thousands of dollars and your home will be littered with countless prescription bottles from the medication you will be forced to take to combat the effects of Rick's conduct. Nothing you do, nothing medical science can do, will end your needless and permanent suffering. Your life is in shambles now, and it will only get worse. All thanks to Rick. And I have plenty of doctors that will testify to these facts for you! :innocent:

Klkak, what Rick did to you is a "tort" - the civil wrong, not the pastry - and it's called "Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress."

Guess what, Klkak! We can sue him for doing it to you! :)

Even though the millions of dollars you will recover from Rick will never make your life whole again, you should gain a modicum of satisfaction in knowing that, to the greatest extent possible, the law has compensated you for your shattered life. Sadly, the ONLY recourse our legal system allows is an award of dollars - RICK'S DOLLARS - in compensation for the endless agony you will now suffer.

And because you're my good friend, I'll cut my fee from the usual 1/3 to a mere 25%. Because you dserve it! And so does Rick. :sneaky2:

I know that you're probably heading to the nearest hospital emergency room as I type this. (If you're not, GET GOING!) Hopefully, your local doctors will provide you with some temporary relief from the suffering Rick has caused you. When you get back home, call me, Klkak. I'll be happy to put you in touch with the finest medical witnesse - I mean medical providers - in the world. And after that, we can discuss the law suit. :innocent:

I'll be there for you, Klkak. I'll even cheer you up, to whatever degree possible, by sending you a ton of new four-wheeler and snow machine and 4x4 and pick-up truck catalogues. And I'll throw in a bunch of vacation brochures as well. Take care of yourself, my friend. I'll help you through this. Honest. :innocent:

klkak
01-31-2010, 01:41 AM
My whole life has now sunk to the bottom of the hole under a door-less outhouse!
(leans forward and starts banging head against monitor):drool:

Ken
01-31-2010, 01:49 AM
My whole life is now at the bottom of the hole under a door-less outhouse!
(leans forward and starts banging head against monitor):drool:

Depression is setting in. I knew this would happen....... :innocent:

.........new four-wheeler and snow machine and 4x4 and pick-up truck catalogues. And I'll throw in a bunch of vacation brochures as well...... :innocent:

klkak
01-31-2010, 01:55 AM
Klkak, Rick only posted that to upset you, and I'm sure he succeeded. :sneaky2:

Klkak, what Rick did to you is a "tort" - the civil wrong, not the pastry - and it's called "Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress."

Guess what, Klkak! We can sue him for doing it to you! :)

Even though the millions of dollars you will recover from Rick will never make your life whole again, you should gain a modicum of satisfaction in knowing that, to the greatest extent possible, the law has compensated you for your shattered life. Sadly, the ONLY recourse our legal system allows is an award of dollars - RICK'S DOLLARS - in compensation for the endless agony you will now suffer.

And because you're my good friend, I'll cut my fee from the usual 1/3 to a mere 25%. Because you dserve it! And so does Rick. :sneaky2:

Rick?........millions of dollars?.........?

Ken
01-31-2010, 02:01 AM
Rick?........millions of dollars?.........?

Re-read his posts. Huge pension. Real estate. Investments. And he owns a huge conglomerate known as "The Most Trusted Name in Outdoor Gear".

Yep. Millions.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b11/fidel_cashflo/250-millions-dollars-in-cash-001.jpg

klkak
01-31-2010, 02:07 AM
Ok I'll take your word for it. But I don't want none of those red and blue dollars in the front of the pile.

Rick
01-31-2010, 09:04 AM
http://legallog.blogs.com/.a/6a00d83458354569e20128760b50ad970c-800wi

Batch
01-31-2010, 09:52 AM
Hey Rick, if your trying to keep lawyers away, you got the leash on them Lousiana yard dogs a little to short...:innocent:

Ken
01-31-2010, 10:16 AM
Hey Rick, if your trying to keep lawyers away, you got the leash on them Lousiana yard dogs a little to short...:innocent:

Rick's the one lying down on his belly......... :innocent:

Batch
02-11-2010, 12:30 AM
I watched am episode of I shouldn't be alive. I record the series and fast forward through most of the carp. Its 15 minutes of TV stretched out to an hour. LOL

Anyway, it was about a guy turned over a quad and got his legs pinned. He was pinned within ear shot of a farm house for four days. He was a paramedic and a survival "expert". He had fire steel, compass, and a signal whistle on a necklace.

The guy who found him by blind luck had also found an overturned quad with a dead hunter underneath it the year before.

Feels like this lesson getting drilled home for me. Ribs are still pretty tender. Though definetly healing. I am thinking about doing some backcountry riding this weekend if I can find a partner.

klkak
02-11-2010, 12:39 AM
I watched am episode of I shouldn't be alive. I record the series and fast forward through most of the carp. Its 15 minutes of TV stretched out to an hour. LOL

Anyway, it was about a guy turned over a quad and got his legs pinned. He was pinned within ear shot of a farm house for four days. He was a paramedic and a survival "expert". He had fire steel, compass, and a signal whistle on a necklace.

The guy who found him by blind luck had also found an overturned quad with a dead hunter underneath it the year before.

Feels like this lesson getting drilled home for me. Ribs are still pretty tender. Though definetly healing. I am thinking about doing some backcountry riding this weekend if I can find a partner.

I'm happy to hear you are healing up. If you go riding take it easy and don't over do it and don't forget to wear helmets.

RichJ
02-11-2010, 11:54 AM

Hmm... If that guy had a fire steel, chances are he had a knife too. You could make a pretty good signal fire with some chunks of rubber you cut from the tires. They would burn a good while and the black smoke should be seen if there was a house nearby. That seems odd that the guy wasn't seen for four days.

Rick
02-11-2010, 12:20 PM
You can't be serious? Destroy my quad? Seriously? Somebody will be along....eventually.

Ole WV Coot
02-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Don't depend on just anyone to help. I fell off a "green" pole and landed on my back, kinda winded me. About 100yds away a guy was watching. He didn't move and I was too winded to holler and he could care less, just stood looking at me. When I got it together after the body check before I moved, got up and the man went into his house. I couldn't get him to answer his door so I cut his drop, just maybe I would get the repair job but didn't. People ignore others and don't care. Moral is take somebody with you that you trust.

Batch
02-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Hmm... If that guy had a fire steel, chances are he had a knife too. You could make a pretty good signal fire with some chunks of rubber you cut from the tires. They would burn a good while and the black smoke should be seen if there was a house nearby. That seems odd that the guy wasn't seen for four days.

I don't know if he had a knife on his person. He was trapping in Northern Canada. I would imagine you would want to carry a knife in that situation. But, could you cut the tire into signal fire chunks and do so with out risking cutting yourself?

Your pinned face down and you'll have to cut the rubber behind your back. Then I'd have to get the rubber lit. I would need tinder and probably kindling for that, I would think.

That's one of the reasons I keep a lighter in my pocket. But, I was just thinking, I think they mentioned that he couldn't get into his pockets.

He had a broken axe with a hickory handle. He could have used the axe to try and scrape tinder from the handle and then busted of enough small slivers to kindle a fire to the rubber.

I have tried cutting tires and it ain't easy in front of you. I don't know about behind the back like that.

If he had a bright light he could have reached he would have been better served because the people kept coming out of the house. Maybe the time when a Surefire or something like it makes good sense.

standingbear
02-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the post, I was in an Quad accident about 7 years ago, luckly i was with 2 other guys and they saw me go up the hill to fasy and wrong, I flipped and it came back at me I saw it and kicked it over and down the hill.
I dislocated my shoulder and broke my collar bone, had to ride back to the truck and load it as they didn't think i had a broken collar bone, then i drove 2 hours home and told my wife to take me to emergency room,had to have surgery to fix it and quad is fine, BUT I never go riding alone and with out gear now as i didnt have any on me then.
thanks again for the great post hope opens some eyes. :tongue_smilie:

Batch
02-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Must not have been a very pleasant ride back to the truck and then home. Glad you and the quad got out OK.