PDA

View Full Version : Tuna and Rice?

Trabitha
01-27-2010, 10:58 AM
You can blame my brother for any paranoia that I may have about preparation. Poor guy is like a chicken with his head cut off, buying up anything anyone with any kind of title tells him to get. He dropped a lot on this kit...that I think is WAY too much for what it is:
http://www.foodinsurance.com/food_insurance/foodkits.php

Then he went out and got a crap load of Tuna and Rice. I guess there's a "survival expert" out there somewhere telling people that they can live a long time and get everything they need from tuna and rice. This can't be right...thoughts?

Pal334
01-27-2010, 11:06 AM
I don't know how healthy long term tuna and rice is. But when I was overseas at various times over a 30 year period, I kind of lived on it. To me it was a safe alternative to what was available.I personally like the taste.
Other than being potentially boring to some people, I think it could work long term. But variety is always good to have.

Also, I am not big on those pre packed kit things. They seem expensive and (from my view anyways) always seem to come up short on things that I would like,

Trabitha
01-27-2010, 11:11 AM
I agree on the pack thing. Because we backpack and hike, we have our own packs that we filled for SO much less. Hell, I can get those MRE's that Rick posted a link to, and STILL save money.

I think we all remember having a time in our lives where we ate nothing but oodles of noodles and/or tuna...but I can't remember much about those times anymore...
(Hey...it's not my fault! I succumbed to peer pressure! Don't judge me...Hee-hee.)
That's one heavy meal. I would think it would make me rather lethargic...

Rick
01-27-2010, 11:17 AM
I agree with Pal on the pack. You generally wind up with items you won't use or eat (or would rather not) and often poorer quality packs/bags than you can purchase separately. When I see something like that I generally look at the contents and ask myself if I really need that item. Is it a benefit and something I will use. If it is, then I start searching the net to see what the going cost for that item is.

As for tuna and rice, he could do worse. Good source of protein and rice is a great staple.

Trabitha
01-27-2010, 11:20 AM
...isn't too much tuna bad? I mean...if you're in a "survival" situation and emergency personnel and medical staff is unavailable...how long can you live on tuna before your body starts having issues with Mercury?

Rick
01-27-2010, 11:23 AM
I guess it depends on how long "long term" is. If that's all you got then you pretty much have to use it. He still has the option of stocking up on many other items to augment his big tuna score. And I don't guess it will hurt you in the long run. Look at Pal. Okay, bad example. Maybe it will.

Batch
01-27-2010, 11:30 AM
I read in Discover magazine that you would have to eat Tuna for like 4 life times before mercury would reach dangerous levels. But, with certainty you would need to eat much more than a couple of weeks worth.

Trabitha
01-27-2010, 11:33 AM
I read in Discover magazine that you would have to eat Tuna for like 4 life times before mercury would reach dangerous levels. But, with certainty you would need to eat much more than a couple of weeks worth.

Ahhh!! That sucks! You mean that I could have been eating tuna more than once a month when I was pregnant??? I LOVE tuna and have avoided eating it for more than twice a week because they warn you of mercury if eaten more than twice a week.

Man...I'm asking YOU from now on, Batch! :sneaky2:

(opens a can of tuna and grabs some lemon pepper.)

Pal334
01-27-2010, 11:44 AM
I guess it depends on how long "long term" is. If that's all you got then you pretty much have to use it. He still has the option of stocking up on many other items to augment his big tuna score. And I don't guess it will hurt you in the long run. Look at Pal. Okay, bad example. Maybe it will.

Hey,, I resemble that remark.

Actually in various stints, I have eaten tuna and rice for 2-6 months, with it being as much as 75% of my meals at the time. I guess, with out understanding why, I did crave the ones in the various oils. Although the MRE are better now than they ever have been, my body just did not like them much. I enjoyed the taste etc, but just did not agree with me.

I guess if you discount my various twitching and vocalizations, a case could be made that the tuna and rice diet is adequate, probably not perfect.

Trabitha
01-27-2010, 11:45 AM
Ha! I'll keep that in mind. LOL!!

Batch
01-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Trabitha, being pregnant is one of the times you may want to limit your intake of species that store mercury.

Therefore, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) are advising women who may become pregnant, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and young children to avoid some types of fish and eat fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.

http://www.epa.gov/fishadvisories/advice/

The fact is we can't measure the amount of mercury or other pollutants in the fish we eat daily. So, when we are CAUTIONED on eating certain fish more than a couple of times a week. They err on the side of caution.

Having read what I have read from both sides of the argument. I no longer factor mercury threat in my diet.

In a survival situation, I don't believe anyone should avoid a nutrient rich food like Tuna.

Besides, a much bigger threat from Mercury comes from the dental industry. At least from what I have read...

finallyME
01-27-2010, 03:49 PM
He might be misquoting Cody Lundin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmmpg-XCU-k&feature=related
Cody says that rice, beans and tuna are easy to acquire and store, and can keep you going for a long time. His point, however, is that it is easy to get this food, so no one has an excuse for not doing it. His point wasn't that you should only get this type of food. of course, I could be wrong about the source, so disregard if he isn't trying to quote Cody.

As far as that kit, it is typical of those type of kits. They are marketed to the scared who know nothing. We all know that food is last on the list of priorities. Regulating body temperature is MUCH higher. That kit had nothing to build a shelter or start a fire. Okay, so it had matches. But those won't last that long, especially when the user doesn't know how to start a fire. Remember to priorities your needs, and build skills to use the tools you have, and then a much better kit is easily obtained.

Trabitha
01-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Well that sounds a LOT more realistic, finalyME! Thanks!

Exactly the point I tried to make about not getting the kit, too. It just seemed like FAR too muck money, for very little of what you actually need. What good is a pack full of food gonna do me if I'm freezing to death and can't get out of the rain? LOL!!

I love your signature, by the way. :D

Trabitha
01-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Trabitha, being pregnant is one of the times you may want to limit your intake of species that store mercury.

http://www.epa.gov/fishadvisories/advice/

The fact is we can't measure the amount of mercury or other pollutants in the fish we eat daily. So, when we are CAUTIONED on eating certain fish more than a couple of times a week. They err on the side of caution.

Having read what I have read from both sides of the argument. I no longer factor mercury threat in my diet.

In a survival situation, I don't believe anyone should avoid a nutrient rich food like Tuna.

Besides, a much bigger threat from Mercury comes from the dental industry. At least from what I have read...

Thanks for clearing that up for me! I think your source seems more realistic in regards to mercury in fish. Doctors freak people out with that blanket statement crap without giving a more detailed explanation.

Ken
01-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Why even take a chance of consuming traces of mercury in your tuna when there is a clearly safer canned alternative? :innocent:

http://www.mainegoodies.com/gourmet/images/lobstermeatlarge.jpg

http://www.mainegoodies.com/gourmet/lobstermeat.shtml?gclid=COjl66y0xZ8CFWEO5QodYney3Q

2dumb2kwit
01-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Yeah....a bottom feeder probably doesn't have near a many toxins as a Tuna.:innocent: Sheeez.

Ken
01-27-2010, 04:52 PM
Yeah....a bottom feeder probably doesn't have near a many toxins as a Tuna.:innocent: Sheeez.

Why how coincidental, 2dumb! :)

I always think of YOU as a toxic bottom-feeder. :sneaky2:

HEY CRASH! Notice that I didn't call 2dumb a MORON? (It's not always wise to share one's thoughts....:innocent:)

Batch
01-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Hey Ken, did you know that nearly all fish and shellfish have mercury?

You wanna know what shellfish is listed as having the same as Tuna. Wanna guess?

In fact only one shelfish even breaks out of the very lowest levels. And then its not even all of the shellfish called lobster. Just one species.

Wanna guess which one? Here is a hint it is not the Florida Spiny lobster. It is from another state up North.

Wanna guess? :innocent:

Here is the list:

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/fishmercury.htm

High Mercury

Eat no more than three 6-oz servings per month

Bass saltwater
Croaker
Halibut
Tuna (canned, white albacore) See tuna chart below
Tuna (fresh bluefin, ahi)
Sea trout
Bluefish
Lobster (American/Maine)

LOWER MERCURY

Eat no more than six 6-oz servings per month

Carp
Mahi Mahi
Crab (dungeness)
Snapper
Crab (blue)
Herring
Crab (snow)
Monkfish
Perch (freshwater)
Skate
Cod
Tuna (canned, chunk light)
Tuna (fresh Pacific albacore)
LOWEST MERCURY

Enjoy two 6-oz servings per week

Anchovies
Butterfish
Calamari (squid)
Caviar (farmed)
Crab (king)
Pollock
Catfish
Whitefish
Perch (ocean)
Scallops
Flounder
Haddock
Hake
Herring
Lobster (spiny/rock)
Shad
Sole
Crawfish/crayfish
Salmon
Shrimp
Clams
Tilapia
Oysters
Sardines
Sturgeon (farmed)
Trout (freshwater)
Chart obtained from the Natural Resource Defense Council (NRDC); data obtained by the FDA and the EPA.

2dumb2kwit
01-27-2010, 04:58 PM
LOL! You're calling me a bottom feeder.......lawyer boy?:sneaky2:

Ken
01-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Hey Ken, did you know that nearly all fish and shellfish have mercury?

You wanna know what shellfish is listed as having the same as Tuna. Wanna guess?

In fact only one shelfish even breaks out of the very lowest levels. And then its not even all of the shellfish called lobster. Just one species.

Wanna guess which one? Here is a hint it is not the Florida Spiny lobster. It is from another state up North.

Wanna guess? :innocent:

Here is the list:

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/fishmercury.htm

Lobster (American/Maine)

Batch, this must be evil propaganda started by the tune industry. :blushing: Besides, I get my lobsters from Mass/Rhode Island waters, so, TECHNICALLY, they're NOT Maine lobsters. :innocent:

2dumb2kwit
01-27-2010, 05:02 PM
LOWEST MERCURY

Enjoy two 6-oz servings per week

Catfish
Crawfish/crayfish

Mmmmmm Mmmmmmmm....now dats good eatin'!!!:clap:

Thanks Batch.

2dumb2kwit
01-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Batch, this must be evil propaganda started by the tune industry. :blushing:

Yep...I bet it was the "tune" industry.:innocent:

Ken
01-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Yep...I bet it was the "tune" industry.:innocent:

One little typo and you just gotta' jump all over it, huh, 2dumb? :sneaky2: Ain't there any traffic in front of you house that you can play in?

2dumb2kwit
01-27-2010, 05:09 PM
One little typo and you just gotta' jump all over it, huh, 2dumb? :sneaky2: Ain't there any traffic in front of you house that you can play in?

Hey, you tried to give me grief, about "Byte", and I had spelled it correctly.
Just think of it as "quid pro quo".:innocent:

hunter63
01-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Y'all can have my tuna, after years of tuna salad, tuna casserole, tuna this, tuna that, I'll pass.
DW only makes it when I away.

They were talking about mercury in fish yesterday on one of the Dr. shows, and makes sense that older, bigger fish, have more mercury accumulation.
Still boils down to how much you eat.

Make mine lobster, crab, crawdads, fresh fish etc.

Batch
01-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Besides, I get my lobsters from Mass/Rhode Island waters, so, TECHNICALLY, they're NOT Maine lobsters. :innocent:

Oh, I see. Well, its good that your being cautious.

Growing up in the Everglades region we are always under some kind of Mercury watch or another. Its weird though one year we can't sell the meat from our gators cause its too toxic. The next year we are good.

"The sale of meat from alligators taken from the Holey Land WMA and the Everglades and Francis S. Taylor WMA harvest units is prohibited. If the meat is not discarded, meat packages must be permanently and visibly labeled "NOT FOR SALE, Recommend: NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION."

We usually just mark them tail tenderloin, jowl, leg, ribs, etc.

Its like they are saying a half of shot of whiskey is safe for human consumption. But, a drop more will kill you deader than a door knob!

I guess its how you look at it either optimistically or pessimistically. Well, for me if the glass is half empty I'll just hold the bottom of the bottle up till that situation is rectified...:drink:

Rick
01-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Please send all excess whiskey to me for immediate disposal. Thank you.

Batch
01-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Hunter63,

Most of the tuna I eat is fresh as it can get. I get it to a hot skillet within a few hours of its getting hooked. Sometimes it don't all make it to the skillet. Roll the edges like it was a wheel in the pan and then 30 seconds a side at most! Add just a splash of soy sauce to my wassabi and thats good eating right there.:tongue_smilie:

Batch
01-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Please send all excess whiskey to me for immediate disposal. Thank you.

Excess whiskey is kind of like when I used to smoke and some one would ask if I had an extra cigarette. I would say, "Nope, they only gave me 20 in this pack."

But, I'll look in the bottom of the bottle and see if there is any excess in there.

Rick
01-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Postage paid, please.

hunter63
01-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Hunter63,

Most of the tuna I eat is fresh as it can get. I get it to a hot skillet within a few hours of its getting hooked. Sometimes it don't all make it to the skillet. Roll the edges like it was a wheel in the pan and then 30 seconds a side at most! Add just a splash of soy sauce to my wassabi and thats good eating right there.:tongue_smilie:

LOL, hahahahaha, you ain't sucking me into that.

See, when you get to be over 50, (better known as the 50 years old rule) you can eat what you want, and not eat what you want.

So thank you very much for the tip, I will have to pass.

Batch
01-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Postage paid, please.

Rick, I don't which of those you wanted. The fresh tuna or the whiskey. But, as both have been linked to bad health by the Gov. I have disposed of that toxic stuff in such a way that we need not fear anyone else accidentally consuming them.

I did this for you Rick. It's like I saved your life only different...:innocent:

Ted
01-27-2010, 07:53 PM
According to Reader's Digest "Eat Better, Live Better",there i absolutly no vitamin C in rice or tuna.

Rick
01-27-2010, 08:00 PM
I don't which of those you wanted. The fresh tuna or the whiskey.

Yes.

I have disposed of that toxic stuff in such a way that we need not fear anyone else accidentally consuming them.

Foul! As Minister of Science it's my duty to ENSURE all Free Traxistan is protected from illegal dumping of "stuff".

Rick
01-27-2010, 08:00 PM
The other option your brother can employ is to eat rice and tuna. That would add some variety.

Batch
01-27-2010, 08:31 PM
The other option your brother can employ is to eat rice and tuna. That would add some variety.

Now that right there is brilliant! :cool2:

Trabitha
01-27-2010, 08:44 PM

BRILLIANT indeed! :clap:

trax
01-28-2010, 02:39 PM
...isn't too much tuna bad? ..... before your body starts having issues with Mercury?

Part 1: I would like to speak on behalf of the tuna of the world and say emphatically yes (they, {the tuna,} would like to recommend you try dolphin once in awhile...just their suggestion)

Part 2: Planetary alignment questions (issues with Mercury) should be addressed to the 2012 thread.

I have to add that I'm just a wee bit disappointed in my Minister of Science for not catching that one. I guess he was busy with those nasty toxic dumper types.

Rick
01-28-2010, 04:22 PM
(head slap) Oooompf! I've been working on the cars......Planets. Who knew?

cowgirlup
01-28-2010, 04:33 PM
It's just as easy to add canned chicken, turkey, ham etc. for variety.
In a stressful situation people will be wanting some comfort food too.

I rarely buy the packages because they usually have items I would never use.