PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Trabitha
01-26-2010, 01:44 PM
(Warning...rather long post! LOL!!)

For quite some time now, I’ve been reading and learning about survival, not as a hobby so much, but what our generation has learned…as a necessity. I’ve been helped along by my husbands survival experience in the military. Thankfully for me, he was taught quite extensively in this field. I understand that until I actually put to use, all my knowledge is just “book learnin’ “, but I am counting on HIS first hand experience in a real survival situation.

As I peruse this site gathering even more information from the members on it, I can’t help but wonder if there are some of you that have felt or DO feel a sense of remorse. While I completely understand that our lives require us to be “ready” and have a “family plan” now days, there’s so much more that this lifestyle burdens us with. There are so many things that I wonder if others think about…or if my thoughts are simply normal for my stage or preparedness.

What set me off on the path of survival? I’ve always found the lifestyle interesting. Growing up, we were ALWAYS outside making forts and playing in the woods. If we were hungry, we ate what we could get from the garden, waded through the raspberry/blackberry bushes, and ate the wild elderberries or green apples. I didn’t grow out of that stage until I moved in with my stepfather at age 16. He lived in “town”, so just walking out into the woods wasn’t much of an option from that point on. I became a political junky. Having family heavily involved in local politics and later state politics…will do that to a person, I guess. I’ve been watching Washington change and simultaneously watching how the changes in Washington have affected my wallet. Personally, I was far better off under Bush than under Clinton. A lot of that had to do with the fact that we were in a field heavily dependant on military funding…and well…we all know what happened during the Clinton years.
For the past 11 years that I’ve been home with my Son, I’ve had even more time to really look into the way things have changed in this country and the world. Things are getting harder for everyone. Is there “something coming”? I don’t know…but if there is, and I’m not capable of keeping my child protected and fed, I will have to live with that.

That brings me to my current state of mind. I’m well on my way to be fully outfitted with almost everything I could need in the event that society crumbles. We have all listed some if not all of the survival needs that we have in our packs and great links and reading material to learn even more, but I’ve yet to see some very important topics addressed. While I know how I think I would be dealing with these subjects, I’m curious to see how someone more advanced in their thinking would address these issues.

Pets:
I have a dog. Just a little Shetland sheepdog, but I’m NOT leaving her. If anything, she’s a good “warning system” and moral booster. Accommodating a dog takes more planning and space that is precious, but I think that in the end it will be a benefit.

My cat will obviously not be with us. He will be put outside with a load of food and water and we will simply have to hold our breath that the stupid little thing can make it on his own.

Fish? No brainer. Dump in the stream with a smile (for the crying son), while saying, “You’re free now! Woooooohoooo!”

This is the hard one now…keepsakes, things that you got from your parents, children, or grandparents. Things that you saved for YOUR children or grandchildren. Photos. Jewelry. Military Metals. This is the sad part for me. In the event that society crumbles…I won’t miss the flushing toilets or running water as much as I will miss the jewelry and metals that I wanted to give to my son. What I CAN bring with me may have to be used for barter. Photos of my great grandparents, grandparents, or parents, photos of my child’s first minute of life, my sons ultrasound, the cards and artwork that he made me. All of these things take up space. All these things are made of paper, which can get wet and ruined if I should need to bring them into the elements. Logic states that I should simply write it off…it’s only paper…and be happy in the thought that I am being a good mother by simply keeping him safe, clothed, and fed. However, logic doesn’t always play a part in this level of thinking.
How do YOU get past the knowledge that in the event that our society crumbles…all those things/memories that you’ve so lovingly protected and collected will have to be left behind?

I’m so sorry for the long post…just thought I would address everything so that y’all understood where I was coming from better. ;)

hunter63
01-26-2010, 02:11 PM
I gonna take a wild guess here, but that is, no offence, a women thing, but a very valid point of view.
If it's important to YOU, it's just as valuable/viable as anything is to anybody else.
(learned that a long time ago, complements of DW)

So I guess, you will just have to plan for saving, protecting, storing, moving what ever it is.
I don't know if this was any help or not, but it comes down to what YOU think is important.

Trabitha
01-26-2010, 02:23 PM
You'll learn that I'm not very easily offended, Hunter. :D Short of calling me a dumb broad, you're safe! LOL!

It may just bee a "woman thing". I don't know. Being that I've only BEEN a woman, I can't weigh in on how a man views these things.

You tell me. How do you view keepsakes? Not just photos, but things that you've gotten or want to give to the younger generation? Do you ever feel remorse over the possibility that you may never be able to GIVE it?

Just pickin' people minds, that's all. ;)

Byte Me
01-26-2010, 02:46 PM
I can say I would miss some of the physical connection to things from my grandad but he would just smile down on me in the woods and say remember what i taught you. I would hope you would do the same for your kids just teach them things they can use and tell them stoires about family. The indians have done it for years, the stories are passed down much like our physical junk if it wont help you survive it aint much good to carry arround.

Rick
01-26-2010, 03:05 PM
I don't see the collapse of society as eminent. Many on here do. My survival plans are centered on natural and a few man made events that I think are much more likely to happen. Tornadoes, earthquakes, a chlorine leak, a tanker truck crash or a industrial accident are the kinds of things I think are most likely to happen.

Having said that, whatever your concern is, is valid to you and it doesn't matter a tinker what I think. We all sort of congregate on here with the understanding that all of us view life more and less the same and more or less different. It's part of what makes learning sort of a daily event around here.

The remorse you feel is, IMO, just age. I guess we all feel it to some extent. Life isn't what it used to be kind of thing. But remember, your parents felt that way. So did their parents and their parents all the way back to Adam and Eve, I suppose. I can well remember my grandfather lamenting, "I don't know what this world's coming to". I heard that a lot.

You did say something that does concern me, however...

I am counting on HIS first hand experience in a real survival situation.

What if your husband isn't around when something happens? What if he's in town, across country or whatever happens, happens to him, too? It will be up to you to take care of your self and your son...and your husband if he's injured. So it's incumbent upon you to learn as much as you can so you can be self sufficient if you have to be.

Winnie
01-26-2010, 03:15 PM
The way I look at the keepsake thing is this. OK they may have gone, but the memories attached to them will stay with you for the rest of your life. Through story telling, not just showing those precious objects, future generations will still carry that knowledge and in their turn, hopefully pass it on to the next. A memory can last so much longer than any keepsake, heirloom, call it what you will.

Oh and my Bobcat would definitely come with me, he's a great foot warmer and pot hunter(when he shares)

hunter63
01-26-2010, 03:34 PM
I was trying to be very careful to not offend, just pointing out that there is a different point view between, men and women.

Suggestions for packing away, valuables, keepsakes, papers etc, could be made, but would end up being out of sight, so as to not be able to enjoy them.

Bottom line the more stuff you have, the more you have the need to protective.

I'm sure if push came to shove, future grand children would rather have you to tell them about thing than stuff.

Trabitha
01-26-2010, 03:35 PM
I don't see the collapse of society as eminent. Many on here do. My survival plans are centered on natural and a few man made events that I think are much more likely to happen. Tornadoes, earthquakes, a chlorine leak, a tanker truck crash or a industrial accident are the kinds of things I think are most likely to happen.

Having said that, whatever your concern is, is valid to you and it doesn't matter a tinker what I think. We all sort of congregate on here with the understanding that all of us view life more and less the same and more or less different. It's part of what makes learning sort of a daily event around here.

The remorse you feel is, IMO, just age. I guess we all feel it to some extent. Life isn't what it used to be kind of thing. But remember, your parents felt that way. So did their parents and their parents all the way back to Adam and Eve, I suppose. I can well remember my grandfather lamenting, "I don't know what this world's coming to". I heard that a lot.

You did say something that does concern me, however...

What if your husband isn't around when something happens? What if he's in town, across country or whatever happens, happens to him, too? It will be up to you to take care of your self and your son...and your husband if he's injured. So it's incumbent upon you to learn as much as you can so you can be self sufficient if you have to be.

Ha! I was waiting to see how long it would take someone to point that quote out, Rick! LOL!! You're right. I think that's why I'm in my frame of mind right now, because I'm still rather new at this thing. He teaches me more and more every day about how to deal with this or that, and I read a lot, because I've yet to put those lessons to work it's hard to feel solid. I'm sure y'all get that. ;)
Actually the likelihood of him being gone or physically unable to help me is VERY real in our family, so I'm sure THAT'S also weighing on me. I suppose my fear isn't so much "society falling" as it is the fear of my local society failing. I think I put that right...
I live in a very small little town, with quite a few nuclear power plants in every direction. I don't fear the plants, but what could be DONE to them. I think it comes down to what we can't control that we fear or worry about. With terror attacks on the country and around the world becoming more and more brazen, and local crime rates going up...I'm preparing for having to take care of my family on my own. Small town cops don't usually come a running...unless your 911 call states that you've shot an intruder.

Winnie and Byet me, I agree. Stories are the best memories and the best way to pass down history. I think as a society we hold SO tight to those physical things though.

Winnie
01-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Ah Trabitha, when you live in England and your home is definitely NOT your castle, possessions become just that. The things I own are insured and I'd claim in a heartbeat, but those memories can't be taken away. I too live in a small community(25 houses to be exact) it takes the local LEO at least 20 mins to get here, so under normal circumstances any intruder in my house(except mice).... I'd show them where everything is and let them walk away with it. Under extraordinary circumstances I'd fight pretty hard to keep what's mine.

2dumb2kwit
01-26-2010, 03:52 PM
I look at it like this....If things get bad enough that I have to leave my home, and if it happens so fast that I only have one shot at taking what I want, and if can't take everything that I want, then lives are at stake, and those things aren't worth risking lives.

The good news is... it's real un-likely, for all those if's to happen together.

Trabitha
01-26-2010, 04:02 PM
I look at it like this....If things get bad enough that I have to leave my home, and if it happens so fast that I only have one shot at taking what I want, and if can't take everything that I want, then lives are at stake, and those things aren't worth risking lives.

The good news is... it's real un-likely, for all those if's to happen together.

Understood and agreed. BUT...haven't you ever thought about it? Like...what would you miss the most? Plumbing? TV? Bed? Keepsakes?

Oh, I hear ya Winnie. I wouldn't fight for diddly either. "Want my TV? Take it, I'll be taking my son and leaving now, thankyouverymuch..."
But like I asked 2dumb2kwit, (by the way...I really feel bad calling you that! LOL!!) what would you miss the most?

Winnie
01-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Oh I see! What would I miss the most? Has to be soft toilet paper!(no joke!)

Trabitha
01-26-2010, 04:06 PM
WOW!! I didn't even THINK about TP!!! Wow...GREAT one! LOL!!

pocomoonskyeyes
01-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Trabitha, Rick beat me too it. Only because I wasn't able to log in 'til now. That one phrase/sentence struck me like a 2x4! You really should try practicing some of the "book Learnin'" before you NEED to know how to use it! This does not mean you Have to go out and place yourself in a situation. Some of it you can do WITH your son,and he might think "Man My MOM is the Coolest!!". Stuff like making a bow drill fire,things like that. Practice making deadfalls. There are many things you can "practice" at home. Basket weaving is another,all kinds of stuff. Just start with a "project list" and do one thing at a time. Heck if you need the "atmosphere" do it when you are camping as well.
There are 3 words that are important when it comes to learning new skills - "Practice, practice, practice."

I try telling my other half the same thing,she says, "But I'll have you!" I reply, "But what if I drop from a heart attack? What will you do then?"

As for the "Possessions" I got over that almost a decade ago when I lost everything except for a few clothes.(I was Homeless, See the thread "Gems from the Gutter") Those things may have a LOT of sentimental value,but not nearly as sentimental as your life. For those photo's that you simply cannot do without - try laminating them,and keeping them in a small box that you can grab on the go (something like a small wooden Cigar box). That way they will float and be protected if the worse happens. Military medals can be replaced.True they might not be the same ones that were given to THAT individual. I just replaced all mine recently. Honestly my kids will never know the difference. They will still be as much of a "treasure" to them. I'm sure others will think of something I have missed. That's one of the great things about being a part of this Community.

Trabitha
01-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Poco, you're totally correct. I KNOW I really need to start putting some of this "book learnin' " to use...call me lazy? No...don't do that...that would make me sad. :tongue_smilie:

I have yet to read your story...but totally plan on it. I find it funny how we had opposite reactions to having nothing. When I was younger we lost our home to a fire. Not having family or really anything because my father took the insurance and ran, we ended up living in an old school bus for quite some time. Maybe growing up with very little handed down...I'm over compensating with my own child.

With all of what you learned in your past though...would there be anything that you would miss about life if it were to change?

2dumb2kwit
01-26-2010, 05:06 PM
2dumb2kwit, (by the way...I really feel bad calling you that! LOL!!)

The more of my post you read, the easier it will be. LOL:blushing:

...and feel free to call me 2dumb....or 2d.:)

Ole WV Coot
01-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Plan to store "keepsakes" underground if you have a choice. Learn to depend only on yourself to protect your family. Each generation was going to be the last as Rick said. Ask someone much older and it's a guarantee that they will say things with kids today are running this country down the toilet. The same thing was said about my generation in the '50s. I prepare like Rick for natural and man made emergencies. I grew up under the threat of the "Bomb" as if getting under your desk at school would protect you. Plan logically and without fear if you can. We aren't guaranteed tomorrow, an old but true statement. We hate to admit we are all going to die but we can postpone it by staying healthy and preparation for some things we do have control over. My advice is don't dwell on the negative and what if scenario. I have no plan to automatically "bug out" but I could if necessary. Being prepared and confident is a huge moral booster and confidence builder. You can learn a lot from these folks. I do and in my mid 60s I am still learning.

Rick
01-26-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm not afraid of dying. I have a bug out kit for that!

Trabitha
01-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Plan to store "keepsakes" underground if you have a choice. Learn to depend only on yourself to protect your family. Each generation was going to be the last as Rick said. Ask someone much older and it's a guarantee that they will say things with kids today are running this country down the toilet. The same thing was said about my generation in the '50s. I prepare like Rick for natural and man made emergencies. I grew up under the threat of the "Bomb" as if getting under your desk at school would protect you. Plan logically and without fear if you can. We aren't guaranteed tomorrow, an old but true statement. We hate to admit we are all going to die but we can postpone it by staying healthy and preparation for some things we do have control over. My advice is don't dwell on the negative and what if scenario. I have no plan to automatically "bug out" but I could if necessary. Being prepared and confident is a huge moral booster and confidence builder. You can learn a lot from these folks. I do and in my mid 60s I am still learning.

WONDERFUL way to put it! :clap: Thank you VERY much for your time!

Yeah, yeah...I know that's really what you ALL have said...LOL!!!

Trabitha
01-26-2010, 05:18 PM

Your kit is afraid FOR you? Cool! I've gotta get me one of those!

Rick
01-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Actually, it's the stuff I'm taking with me. Lot's of ice. Lot's and lot's of ice. You can never be too careful when it comes to dying.

Ole WV Coot
01-26-2010, 05:21 PM

Come to think about it I do believe I have the kit for that also. Had it packed for several years but hope I don't need it anytime soon.:)

Rick
01-26-2010, 05:22 PM
I hope you didn't pack it with that Beretta......just sayin'......

Trabitha
01-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Actually, it's the stuff I'm taking with me. Lot's of ice. Lot's and lot's of ice. You can never be too careful when it comes to dying.

I have to agree with you!!! Gin and tonics are terrible warm!

Rick
01-26-2010, 05:26 PM
And you never know where you're going to wind up.......well, not me, mind you.....some folks.

pocomoonskyeyes
01-26-2010, 05:28 PM
No I don't think you are "Lazy". Believe me I have a LOT of "book learning" on the subject. If I had as much "experience" as knowledge,everyone here would be asking ME for advice!! Just kidding there are some here with more of both kinds of knowledge "book" and "Real". We all have to make a beginning somewhere,and no time is better than today. (talking to myself,as much as to you. I still have some "projects" that are on the back burner for the present time.)

Rick only you have a BOB for THAT!! I think I will just "rough it" when my time comes! LOL

Trabitha
01-26-2010, 05:28 PM
And you never know where you're going to wind up.......well, not me, mind you.....some folks.

I can see it now. You and yours all plastic and duct taped in huddled around your bug out bag-o-ice. :cold:

Save room for my husband. He's gonna need it! Ha!

SARKY
01-26-2010, 05:45 PM
As to your momentos, have you thought of making a time capsule type of storage system that you can bury and perhaps at a later date come back for?

oldsoldier
01-26-2010, 07:10 PM
IMHO we all have at least a few keepsake's we hope we never lose. Picture's small rememberances and such. I scanned all of my picture's to my computer. Then backed them up on disc AND flash drive. I stored one in a safe deposit box, have backups in our fire safe at home and have a set in a waterproof hard shell case in my BOB in my vehicle. Other keepsakes we hope we can grab up as we get ready to go. If you can't take stuff with you then you may want to consider cacheing. There are hundreds of options for doing so just google "caching" for some examples. Just my 2 cents worth.

Trabitha
01-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks guys! Great advice! Glad to see that I'm not alone in the hope to keep things that I may otherwise lose in some sort of disaster. Not only is it good advice, but it creates some great projects to do with my son. ;)

I've also backed my photos up, oldsoldier, I just did so onto an external hard drive. That's a good idea to burn them off and stow them in an emergency bag though. I would hate to keep the bag in my car (I know it's the BEST place), because I would be worried about the disk deteriorating in the heat and cold fluctuations.

rwc1969
01-27-2010, 12:08 AM
I'd keep the cat.

pocomoonskyeyes
01-27-2010, 12:48 AM
Thanks guys! Great advice! Glad to see that I'm not alone in the hope to keep things that I may otherwise lose in some sort of disaster. Not only is it good advice, but it creates some great projects to do with my son. ;)

I've also backed my photos up, oldsoldier, I just did so onto an external hard drive. That's a good idea to burn them off and stow them in an emergency bag though. I would hate to keep the bag in my car (I know it's the BEST place), because I would be worried about the disk deteriorating in the heat and cold fluctuations.

Don't forget when you burn them off/print them -For those photo's that you simply cannot do without - try laminating them,and keeping them in a small box that you can grab on the go (something like a small wooden Cigar box or one of those clear plastic waterproof boxes). That way they will float and be protected if the worse happens.

your_comforting_company
01-27-2010, 08:22 AM
I used to think material things were important (in a previous life). I dove into the primitive skills head first, and over the last couple years (being inspired by a single song) I have realized that they are just that... material things.
Whatever your teotwawki, the most important things will be safety and health, and getting the heck out of danger's way. All those material things can be left behind and the memories passed down as folklore. Folklore = legends. Legends are stories told that explain how things came to be. When the SHTF and you are a survivor, you will be a legend. your previous life will no longer matter as much as it once did and your focuses will shift to daily survival, and only at night, before bedtime, will the memories come to you to be shared and told. "We'll be Legends!"

One thing I might point out is that sentimentality will not help you in a bad situation, and anything you wish to carry with you will become dead weight, a yoke if you will. Can you bear the burden of reflecting on a life that is no longer tangible? I don't think I could stand to reflect on the way things were, and carry forward knowing that there is probably little chance of things ever being there again. It might take lifetimes for society or whatever to recover from disaster and collapse. I don't want the physical burden of materials that will not help me and my family to THRIVE in the wilderness. I'm not a very sentimental person anymore. Feelings and emotions will distract me from the tasks at hand.

For a second, just imagine the emotional burden of telling your kids about (insert important person here) that is no longer with you, while in tears.. Not exactly a moral boost.

What would I miss most? there is a thread about this somewhere on the forum. I would miss having people to talk to most of all. More than any single material thing I have, I would miss human contact the most. That is not to say that I'm not mentally prepared to suck it up and carry on, because I am. What I am saying is that if there is noone left to share or show these items to, they are just dead weight... memories and ideas weigh nothing. Calories are more important, and the knowledge of how to procure them.

If I had one piece of advice to share with you, Start today. There is no better time to prepare for the worst, than BEFORE it happens.

Trabitha
01-27-2010, 10:28 AM
I'd keep the cat.

Honestly if we were just evacuating the area, I would bring him. If were didn't plan on coming back...there's a good chance I would just let him go. Honestly though...and this sounds terrible. I have a hard time keeping from opening the door for him right now! LOL!! Okay...I'm sorry to all the cat lovers...but this little turd is irritating! :blink:

Batch
01-27-2010, 11:01 AM
being inspired by a single song

YCC, you gotta name that tune brother!

As for what I would take. In a survival situation the situation will dictate what I take.

What will you grab from your house if a fire occurs at night while your sleeping? This happened to me already.

What if the fire occurs while you are away from home?

What did the people you have observed in that situation take? I have seen time and time again people standing around crying saying that they don't have anything but the clothes on their back.

Maybe you could be the one that says, "The smoke alarm woke us all up and we already had a plan to get out of the house. We all met out by the mailbox as we had planned. Each of us grabbing our backpacks as previously planned. Everything we value was either backed up, stored in a fireproof safe, or insured."

If fire happens, your right back in the big suck. Only now you don't have all of the crap you had to make you comfortable and help you cope with the day to day in the real world.

Hurricanes give you time to plan. Earthquakes, well isn't it you "fault" you lived near a fault and didn't take that into consideration.

What did they grab at Chernobyl?

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter1.html

Or from the towers when they fell?

When the tornadoe comes what do you take to you safe spot? Or do you just hope you can find a safe spot?

There was a hurricane here in 1928. A small earth levy collapsed and at least 2,500 died. About 1,600 white people were buried in a mass grave.Ain't it funny how they got a nice round number like that? Many were washed out into the Everglades never to be seen again. Field workers were dumped in massive unmarked graves, uncounted.

One lady was washed from South Bay to Belle Glade over 5 miles away. What did she grab? Just the clothes on her back. But, the storm didn't see fit to letting her keep those. But, she survived beaten and bloody, but alive.

Me, I'm going lite. If I don't need it, its staying. I'd rather wish I had it then wish I hadn't wasted time trying to get it.

Sourdough
01-27-2010, 11:01 AM
...but this little turd is irritating! :blink:

16 oz. box of Cat-burger Helper.........:innocent:

Trabitha
01-27-2010, 11:02 AM
16 oz. box of Cat-burger Helper.........:innocent:

Mmmmmm, mmmmm, GOOD!! LOL!

Trabitha
01-27-2010, 11:05 AM
YCC, you gotta name that tune brother!

As for what I would take. In a survival situation the situation will dictate what I take.

What will you grab from your house if a fire occurs at night while your sleeping? This happened to me already.

What if the fire occurs while you are away from home?

What did the people you have observed in that situation take? I have seen time and time again people standing around crying saying that they don't have anything but the clothes on their back.

Maybe you could be the one that says, "The smoke alarm woke us all up and we already had a plan to get out of the house. We all met out by the mailbox as we had planned. Each of us grabbing our backpacks as previously planned. Everything we value was either backed up, stored in a fireproof safe, or insured."

If fire happens, your right back in the big suck. Only now you don't have all of the crap you had to make you comfortable and help you cope with the day to day in the real world.

Hurricanes give you time to plan. Earthquakes, well isn't it you "fault" you lived near a fault and didn't take that into consideration.

What did they grab at Chernobyl?

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter1.html

Or from the towers when they fell?

When the tornadoe comes what do you take to you safe spot? Or do you just hope you can find a safe spot?

There was a hurricane here in 1928. A small earth levy collapsed and at least 2,500 died. About 1,600 white people were buried in a mass grave.Ain't it funny how they got a nice round number like that? Many were washed out into the Everglades never to be seen again. Field workers were dumped in massive unmarked graves, uncounted.

One lady was washed from South Bay to Belle Glade over 5 miles away. What did she grab? Just the clothes on her back. But, the storm didn't see fit to letting her keep those. But, she survived beaten and bloody, but alive.

Me, I'm going lite. If I don't need it, its staying. I'd rather wish I had it then wish I hadn't wasted time trying to get it.

So after all that apples to oranges comparison...you're saying that you wouldn't miss ANYTHING if you were unable to bring it?

Trabitha
01-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Come on Batch. ;) You have to miss SOMETHING. Winnie would miss TP! (so would I, really...)

Trabitha
01-27-2010, 11:21 AM
My CAT friend is included in all my emergency plans. His well being is a higher priority than any memento or personal belonging I have. Please consider that he is sitting on my chest watching the screen as I type this.

Is that code for "My cat has me held hostage, call 911"? :online2long:

Rick
01-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Oh, great! You just let the cat know the code.

Trabitha
01-27-2010, 11:27 AM
RUN sjj, RUN!!!

(Did anyone else just have a flashback to Forest Gump?)

Sourdough
01-27-2010, 11:30 AM
My CAT friend is included in all my emergency plans. His well being is a higher priority than any memento or personal belonging I have.

sjj, Your CAT friend would look good with a liberal coating of Pomegranate & Mango Chipotle Sauce..........:innocent:

finallyME
01-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Trabitha, give the fish to the cat, or dog. I give my goldfish to my dog all the time, she likes 'em.

doug1980
01-27-2010, 04:44 PM
I have many sentimental items that I have kept in my short life. Having moved over a dozen times many of those things get tossed frequently. Currently my wife and I have all our Military awards, ribbons, clothing and gear that we want to keep, but I'm sure at some point it will all get tossed as well. After watching the TV show hoarders, it makes us want to toss out eveything. But to get on topic I think in a natural disaster or survival situation the last thing I will think of is useless items or "keepsakes" I'm sure afterwards it will be sad but it's not like you can take that stuff with you when you die. It's just stuff.

Rick
01-27-2010, 06:18 PM
I would be heartbroken. I have my grandmother's quilting loom, my grandfather's lantern, my other grandfathers clock, my other grandmother's shoes. To me, those are tangible items that still keep them alive in my heart. As many have said, the memories are there but it's nice to look at a given item and know the history and rekindle some of those memories.

your_comforting_company
01-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Batch, The song is "Songs Sound Much Sadder" by Norma Jean from the album Redeemer.

We are smashed men, still moving. We've tried everything in the book.
No stranger to failure, death with a steady heartbeat.
Scratching into any surface it wants.
Joy and beauty rejected so many times.
A world of hurt, a heart of false hope.

And while we thought that we were learning how to live,
We have been learning how to die.
I should have known, we will be legends.

Our hopes, and dreams, our worst nightmares
our worst nightmares have now come true
tonight when this deep sleep falls on men.
Driven by an instinct more powerful than life itself
From honor to hope, from hope to devastation.

And while we thought that we were learning how to live,
We have been learning how to die.
I should have known, we will be legends.

Overfed and unconcerned
It came with teeth and claw
Oh, hated form of emotion
You have become so obvious.
My friend, the fatal habit of being myself.
Ok, there's hope.
Step down with all your friends.

I could not find the reference to the bible verse that inspired the song, but it definately lends to what I was saying about materialism and emotion.
I should mention this is a christian band for those who don't know. They autographed my CD with Romans 6:23
beautiful.