PDA

View Full Version : Safety Bullet

Ken
01-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Anyone ever hear of the "Safety Bullet?" What do you think of this gadget?

http://www.safetybullet.com/

SARKY
01-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Are you talking about the extremely franible bullet that won't penetrate walls?

Pal334
01-25-2010, 12:15 PM
" Yet if your child finds your firearm and pulls the trigger, if you have a Safety Bullet® installed, your gun just became instantly disabled. "

Kind of a unique Idea. Never heard of it though

glockcop
01-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Looks like a solution for an imaginary problem IMO. Safe weapon storage and home gun locks have been working for years when the concept is properly applied. This looks like something to get the "wrong guy" killed when the confusion of life and death combat is at hand. Just my thoughts. Yall be safe.

crashdive123
01-25-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't like it. If you have kids, this, IMO does not constitute safe storage. The claims that the "bad guy" won't be able to shoot you with your weapon are a bit over the top I believe. If a "bad guy" came across a weapon that had the safety bullet chambered - do you think he wouldn't try and chamber a round by racking the slide? As Glockcop says too - in the heat/confusion of the moment..... Not a good idea IMO.

Old GI
01-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Didn't some political hack say something about we need safer bullets last year some time?

Sarge47
01-25-2010, 01:47 PM
I'll have you all know that I ALWAYS use Safety Bullets in my firearms.. they're the ones designed to keep ME safe! :sneaky2:

Rick
01-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Actually.....it looks like a sensible idea to me. With one exception.

If you have a firearm for home safety and kids then you know how important something like a trigger safety or slide safety is. However, I have to guess it's pretty difficult to remove a trigger lock or slide lock in the dark when the adrenalin is flowing; a.k.a. someone is coming in through the locked front door. This product seems like a pretty good solution to that problem.

The only exception I can see is mistakenly pulling the trigger in the heat of the moment and disabling your own weapon. I suppose, like everything else, it requires practice.

Just on the surface and with no other knowledge than that which was presented on their web page, I'd have to say it has merit.

hunter63
01-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Sorry, not for me, looks like one more addition to Murphy's law.

2dumb2kwit
01-26-2010, 03:42 PM
I don't like it.
Looks like one more attempt, to remove people from responsibility.:sneaky2:

pocomoonskyeyes
01-26-2010, 05:15 PM
No offense to anyone,but it seems as if some of you didn't watch the videos.These videos explain how it works. I think Rick watched it and I have to agree it does have some merit,especially when two "safety bullets" are used. When one of them is "fired" it locks up the firearm disabling it, Until proper corrective action is employed. In some ways(maybe used with a locking device) it would be even safer I would think.

2dumb2kwit
01-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Did you REALLY mean to type "byte," 2dumb? :innocent:

Actually sir, I did.
You see....that is how the member that I was speaking of, spells his name.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/member.php?u=4344

Had I spelled it another way, crash may have gotten the wrong idea, and moved my post.:innocent:

2dumb2kwit
01-26-2010, 05:28 PM
In some ways(maybe used with a locking device) it would be even safer I would think.

Using that line of thinking, not having a gun at all, would be even safer.

It comes down to, do you want a usable/loaded gun, or not. If you do...why disable it. If you don't, then why have one.
(I don't mean you personally...I mean people in general.)

Rick
01-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Oh, I don't know. You disable because you don't want your kids to poke an eye out. Even you are not 2Dumb to leave a loaded weapon around where there are kids....are you?

So you put a trigger guard on it and then go searching for the key in the middle of the night when that stranger is walking down the hallway. Good luck.

Snap. Dang it! I forgot that safety bullet was in there..........

pocomoonskyeyes
01-26-2010, 05:35 PM
How kind of you, 2dumb! You called me "sir!" :)

"Sir" must have been a very difficult word for you to spell. I'm proud of you, 2dumb! You spelled the word correctly on your first try! :clap:

(Crash, I think that 2dumb deserves a lot of credit for his efforts. Do you agree? :innocent:)

Glad to see you are feeling better Ken!! Just don't go straining yourself now ya' hear?

Ken
01-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Glad to see you are feeling better Ken!! Just don't go straining yourself now ya' hear?

No strain, no gain, poco! :innocent:

2dumb2kwit
01-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Oh, I don't know. You disable because you don't want your kids to poke an eye out. Even you are not 2Dumb to leave a loaded weapon around where there are kids....are you?

See...that's kinda my point. I'm not leaving a loaded (or un-loaded)gun in a place to be used by the wrong person, whether it has a safty bullet (or two) in it, or not.

Do you really think that a "safety bullet" is kid proof?

Boker
01-26-2010, 06:14 PM
These have great practical joke potential. Not so sure about their designated purpose though.

Rick
01-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Do you really think that a "safety bullet" is kid proof?

Well, if you and the Mrs. walk and your kid is ramming a rod down the barrel of your .45 then the both of you will probably have some 'splanin' to do to the little lady. But, at least the kid is still 'splanin'. He probably won't be sittin' for a spell but he'll still be able to 'splain'.

2dumb2kwit
01-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Well, if you and the Mrs. walk and your kid is ramming a rod down the barrel of your .45 then the both of you will probably have some 'splanin' to do to the little lady. But, at least the kid is still 'splanin'. He probably won't be sittin' for a spell but he'll still be able to 'splain'.

Well....if you left safety bullets, and only safety bullets in it, it would be a way to test the kids, I guess.

Sarge47
01-26-2010, 07:37 PM
That's all well and good, however I was able to sneak my dad's revolver out of his storage box, remove the bullets, & scare the crap out of my kid brother at the age of 8! I would have noticed the weird looking round in a heartbeat! :sneaky2:

But leave it on the market for the Numpties, they need all of the help they can get! :innocent:

hunter63
01-26-2010, 08:06 PM
These have great practical joke potential. Not so sure about their designated purpose though.

Sorry, not even remotely funny.

flandersander
01-26-2010, 09:31 PM
What I don't understand, is why doesn't somebody just use an empty cartridge? I can't watch the video, so i don't know exactly how it works, but wouldn't just the brass take on the same concept?

Boker
01-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Sorry, not even remotely funny.

Would it make you feel any better if I promised we'll all be drunk at the time?

j/k!

Ole WV Coot
01-27-2010, 12:05 AM
Gotta be right up on the list of stupid inventions to protect idiots. I learned to depend on common sense and taught my son as he has taught his boys the same way. He also carries a 1911 45 so I guess I did something right.

AKS
01-27-2010, 12:16 AM
seems like it might be fun to help a budy load a mag. while out shooting and put one as #3 or 4 down the line.

bang
bang
bang
click, what the....Hey! What's wrong with my pistol!!!!

Ole WV Coot
01-27-2010, 03:33 PM
seems like it might be fun to help a budy load a mag. while out shooting and put one as #3 or 4 down the line.

bang
bang
bang

That ain't for fun. I taught folks with revolvers on aimed fire by a couple of blanks, spin the cylinder and watch for trigger jerk or flinch which will show up on the dead primer. Actually you can learn a lot about yourself by doing the same thing. A couple of fired brass, spaced, spin the cylinder and align your sights and slow fire at a target. When you hit a dead one check your sights and see where you are aiming. Bet you flinch, pull off target or screw up. Darn good practice.

flandersander
01-27-2010, 07:36 PM

bang
bang
bang

Here man, I loaded your mag for you.
200 class buck walks in
Bang!
Dang i missed 'im
I got 'im this time!
Click!
what the....

Boker
01-27-2010, 08:24 PM
I got a feeling if we ever get together, some of us ain't gonna be allowed to have firearms.

AKS
01-28-2010, 01:08 AM
That ain't for fun. I taught folks with revolvers on aimed fire by a couple of blanks, spin the cylinder and watch for trigger jerk or flinch which will show up on the dead primer. Actually you can learn a lot about yourself by doing the same thing. A couple of fired brass, spaced, spin the cylinder and align your sights and slow fire at a target. When you hit a dead one check your sights and see where you are aiming. Bet you flinch, pull off target or screw up. Darn good practice.

Were you able to watch the videos? When you fire one of these "safety bullets" it completely jams up your pistol. I agree that pulling the trigger while pointing at a target with a good back drop just like you were really going to fire is good practice for trigger control but I wouldn't want to do it with one of these in the chamber. You have to put a rod in your barrel and bang it on a hard surface to get it to release so you can cycle the weapon and try again. I try to make it a practice not to swing my firearms at hard objects.:smash:

Born2Late
01-28-2010, 06:21 AM
The first thing I was taught is that every weapon is loaded until you have checked for yourself that it is safe,dont let your gun out of your sight and keep it away from children,it is not a toy.I still think that the best safety is between your ears.Think of what you are doing at all times and get good training.When I want to use the firearm there wont be time to take out the safety bullet,that second could cost you your life.

Ole WV Coot
01-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Were you able to watch the videos? When you fire one of these "safety bullets" it completely jams up your pistol. I agree that pulling the trigger while pointing at a target with a good back drop just like you were really going to fire is good practice for trigger control but I wouldn't want to do it with one of these in the chamber. You have to put a rod in your barrel and bang it on a hard surface to get it to release so you can cycle the weapon and try again. I try to make it a practice not to swing my firearms at hard objects.:smash:

I said what I thought about the "safety" cartridge in a previous post. What I was talking about was a fired cartridge sans bullet or powder leaving the dead primer to save damage on the firing pin. I wouldn't put a "safety" cartridge in a tin can let alone a firearm. And in a revolver as I used as an example, no harm, no problem, no damage.

canid
03-12-2010, 06:50 AM
i would only criticize the merit of it's effectiveness for the purpose of child safety.

as a child, even a young one, i can say it would only have taken me one observation of a parent using the device to have figured out how to remove it.

there are only two highly effective means of keeping firearms safe from minors:

1.) probably the least effective of the two is to use a key lock device which locks the action from being worked completely, or a safe and ensure the device is locked at all times the firearm isn't in your immediate posession and the key is on your person at all times.

2.) to educate your children about what firearms are, how they work, how they are safely handled and if they express continued curiosity or attraction to firearms, to allow them supervised exposure sufficient to temper any desire for unsupervised handling or use.

LowKey
03-12-2010, 08:10 PM
When I took my pistol course, the instructors put dummy rounds (not these safety rounds) in the magazine to make darn sure we knew what to do with squibs and hangfires.

Get a hammer to ram back the pin? I don't think so.

hunter63
03-13-2010, 11:59 AM
i would only criticize the merit of it's effectiveness for the purpose of child safety.

as a child, even a young one, i can say it would only have taken me one observation of a parent using the device to have figured out how to remove it.

there are only two highly effective means of keeping firearms safe from minors:

1.) probably the least effective of the two is to use a key lock device which locks the action from being worked completely, or a safe and ensure the device is locked at all times the firearm isn't in your immediate posession and the key is on your person at all times.

2.) to educate your children about what firearms are, how they work, how they are safely handled and if they express continued curiosity or attraction to firearms, to allow them supervised exposure sufficient to temper any desire for unsupervised handling or use.

Agreed and would like to add:
3) Teach them to shoot safety, shoot well, and what reasons this tool is to be used.