PDA

View Full Version : First Knife...Not Much

pocomoonskyeyes
01-24-2010, 11:28 PM
I saw somewhere about making a Jig saw blade into a knife for use in a mini kit. Since I don't have any steel or anything else except a Belt Grinder (Thanks to Camp 10). Impatient ole me had to give it a shot,with a saw blade I found laying in my shop. But I now have something to tuck away just in case.

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt61/pocomoonskyeyes/knives/obverse.jpg

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt61/pocomoonskyeyes/knives/Reverse.jpg

It is 4" OAL with 3" BL.

Can't wait 'til I get the rest of the stuff I need. I did better than I thought I would. I think it will be easier working with a larger piece of steel.

I was EXTRA careful after I read Camp 10 's reminder to be safe. Thanks Camp 10!! It ain't much, but it is a start. Oh and since it was meant to be tucked away in a mini kit, I didn't worry about it being pretty,just functional.

your_comforting_company
01-25-2010, 12:03 AM
excellent idea poco. I keep a sawzall blade and knife in my bob and that is both in one.. more compact and you could fashion a handle with changeable blades so you could carry more blades for different jobs.
good job!

Ted
01-25-2010, 12:31 AM
Good job Poco! Looks great!

Sir you have inspired me. I have a bunch of used sawsall blades I got from work that were thrown out after use. Knew they had to be good for something.(I don't own a sawsall). Even after seeing all the great knives these guys make around here and reading the tutorials, I never gave them a thought!...LOL

Thanks Poco .....Later Bro!

panch0
01-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Nice Poco!

klkak
01-25-2010, 02:14 AM
Sawzall blades make good knife blades. I've made quite a few knives out of them.

crashdive123
01-25-2010, 08:05 AM
Nice job Poco.

Camp10
01-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Well??? How bad do you have the bug now, my friend? :) Nice job!

pocomoonskyeyes
01-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Pretty darn bad,to be honest!! That wasn't as hard as I had thought it might be. Although I am fairly critical of my first attempt. You may notice a "Bow" in the edge where I took to much down on the edge. I know the pics aren't all that great,both blurry and shaky. But it is there if you look. To be honest I was more worried of taking off some skin!!

I am already trying to figure out some kind of jig,so I can have better uniformity on the blade. It is such a small piece of metal that I'm not being too hard on myself. But I'm getting impatient to get my hands on the other tools and some metal!!We'll see what this week brings.

panch0
01-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Poco Fred Rowe on Knifedogs has a bubble jig that could help you getting the angles you need.