PDA

View Full Version : Safety reminder

Camp10
01-24-2010, 11:27 AM
I will share what just happened to me as a reminder to be careful in your knife shop. I try to work very safe, I keep the shop relatively clean and free from hazards. I wear the proper PPE for the equipment I use and keep an eye for things that might be a problem but I messed up this morning.

I was working with a vibrating sander to work harden some copper straps to use as liners for a folder knife I am making and when I was done, I just unplugged it and left it on the bench near my grinders.

I use my Grizzly grinder for most of my profiling and fired it up to take the blade to shape. The other side of the contact wheel on the Grizzly is a buffing wheel. I hadnt noticed that the cord from the sander had looped over this buffing wheel until I had started the grinder up and it quickly made several wraps around the shaft. Out of instinct I reached for the sander (because it was falling to the floor) and that was a very bad idea! When the weight of the sander tightened the cord on the arbor all hell broke loose and I got my left hand smashed by several rotations of the sander as the Grizzly kept it spinning.

I think I will loose my thumb nail on my right hand and my pointer finger is bruised as well. It is fun typing this without the use of these fingers! Nothing seems broken and I think I was lucky but I thought I would pass it on as a reminder to be safe!

pocomoonskyeyes
01-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Man I hope you are alright!! That goes to show that it only takes a second for something like that to happen. Thank you for the reminder. Hope you heal alright. You probably type the same as me now(hunt and peck).

Camp10
01-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Oh, and before you ask...all the tools are just fine! :)

your_comforting_company
01-24-2010, 01:03 PM
It's a good example of how we take simple things like "putting things down" for granted. It only takes a moment of being unaware, or distracted, for a good time to go bad. pay attention to what's going on at all times when working with power tools. I had a similar event the other day, but luckily I wasn't hurt, just busted a few knuckles.. and all because of a small detail like that I overlooked.

Be safe guys, and pay attention!

I wish you a speedy recovery and thanks for the reminder!!

Pal334
01-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Ouch!!!!! Safety first. Easy to say sometimes difficult in practice. Hope you heal quickly

oly
01-24-2010, 01:24 PM
I have never met a person that works with power tools that hasn't been slapped a few times. Repetition of handling tools is when we forget to be safe. Good reminder and thanks.

Rick
01-24-2010, 01:50 PM
There are two kinds of reminders in this world. The one you received and the one you gave us. I prefer the last one.

I'm glad it wasn't too bad. Just remember, a finger splint will get you sympathy too!!!!

Mrs. Camp10: "How's the finger?"
Camp10: "It's still pretty sore. I think I'll get a beer."
Mrs. Camp10: "Sit still. I'll get it for you."
Camp10: :creepy:

hunter63
01-24-2010, 02:05 PM
There are two kinds of reminders in this world. The one you received and the one you gave us. I prefer the last one.

I'm glad it wasn't too bad. Just remember, a finger splint will get you sympathy too!!!!

Mrs. Camp10: "How's the finger?"
Camp10: "It's still pretty sore. I think I'll get a beer."
Mrs. Camp10: "Sit still. I'll get it for you."
Camp10: :creepy:

Amen to that, glad it wasn't too bad.
Them suckers are fast!

Note, it you need to splint it, always remember to have your hand "cupped" a little, with the pink finger slightly in. Beer can won't fall out. (well, they said put something cold on it?)

Rick
01-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Are you kidding me? You must surely be backwoods. Everyone knows to splint the ring finger in to hold the can and splint the pinky EXTENDED. Some folks have no class. However, if you must.....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qDsAXMKqCE0/SuCR5Q_7ViI/AAAAAAAAAqs/Zxz_6z-gSx0/s320/miller_pinky_restraint-1.jpg

hunter63
01-24-2010, 03:03 PM
OMG, not another "pinkies up" kind of guy. Would have never guessed it..........

Camp10
01-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the well wishes! The thumb is pretty ugly but my pointer finger looks like it should be fine. If this was posted by someone else, I might have been quick to say that it couldnt happen to me because I am safe in my shop...it's just something to keep in the back of your mind that it doesnt take much to really ruin a good day!

crashdive123
01-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Glad it wasn't too serious. The tools that make a living eating metal are pretty good at eating anything else.

2dumb2kwit
01-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Rick; I hope you don't mind...I saved that picture. I'm pretty sure I will use that on Ken, at some point. (If it's OK with you.)LOL:innocent:

2dumb2kwit
01-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the well wishes! The thumb is pretty ugly but my pointer finger looks like it should be fine. If this was posted by someone else, I might have been quick to say that it couldnt happen to me because I am safe in my shop...it's just something to keep in the back of your mind that it doesnt take much to really ruin a good day!

LOL...I understand, completely! I'm usually the one who fusses at my friends, for not being safe enough, in their shops. I'm really funny about fire. Working on race cars, I do plenty of cutting, grinding, and welding. I'm always aware of where my sparks are going, when I grind or weld. I try not to leave flammable stuff laying around,.....heck, I even let things cool enough that I can hold my hand on it, before I'll leave the shop, just to be sure nothing starts a fire.

The only thing I have ever accidentally set on fire, is me. Yep....set myself on fire. Grinding sparks hitting a ragged flannel shirt....well, you get the picture. LOL:blushing:

Heal up fast.

nell67
01-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Glad the digits are gonna be okay Camp10.coulda been worse.

Rick
01-24-2010, 07:29 PM
2D, if puny ever gets back in the saddle feel free to whip it out!

panch0
01-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Grinder are very dangerous. I was really upset once when my wife past behind me while I was grinding and gave me a pat on my bottom:blushing:. It spooked me and I ground off a piece of skin off my knuckles. Its funny know but it scared me and it could of been worse. I am glad that nothing worse happened to you.