PDA

View Full Version : Boar Hunting With Blades

marberry
11-17-2007, 06:49 PM
I was just looking through my cabella's shooting catalog for winter of 07 and a particular item caught my eye. it was a large knife (they said sword) with an elk antler handle an 22" drop point S.S. blade for $189.88 US. in the caption it said the sword was for 'the growing craze of hunting wild boars with blades.' it peaked my interest and i thought that someone here might have herd , of even participate in this new sport.

HOP
11-17-2007, 07:01 PM
I know it is pouplar in the south there may be variations but basicly usually from horse back with dogs ride til dogs bay a hog everyone gets down catch dog hold hog by head some one holds the legs and then the guy with the knife runs in a sticks the pig.

FVR
11-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Wild boar hunting with knives is mainly done on private property. The dogs chase and bay the hog, the hunter at that point goes in and kills the pig with a knife. Kind of basic and not too popular.

I know in Alabama and Tenn. this is allowed, also hunting them with a spear is allowed. The spear also enables those who want to use atlatl a chance at wild pigs.

Mild mannered hogs, after being chased by hog dogs have a tendancy to get real mean. I know of many trad. bowhunters who have been tree'd by such highly aggrivated wild pigs.

I would like to try hunting wild boar with a knife, but rather the stalk and sneak method. I have been very close to (6 to 10 feet 3 times) angry or wary wild boars and it is scary. Once they know you are there and a threat, they start their jowl chomping, snorting, and it is scary. They have the means to really hurt you as shown by injured and dead hog dogs not mentioning the stitches that humans need after some encounters.

Unlike deer, hogs will if given the chance, ruin your day. That's why I enjoy chasing them with primitive archery gear, close encounters of the pork kind.

spiritman
11-17-2007, 07:42 PM
Didn't survival dude try something like that with bigfoot? or was it a blind man in a bear suit he pricked with his fancy shmancy knife?

Nativedude
11-17-2007, 07:59 PM
My buddy that I was bear hunting with in Canada in '98 took a Russian boar with a spear out of a tree. Although he did break his ankle when he hit the ground. He jumped from a limb 12' up. :eek: It piqued his interest too, but he has not done it since. That broken ankle laid him up for quite a while and still gives him trouble from time-to-time. But he did get the boar and it was T-A-S-T-Y!! :)

FVR
11-17-2007, 08:12 PM
I'm on vacation for the next week, so I'll be chasing them through the woods with my stick. If I'm lucky, I may just get on a rabbit or two.

Rick
11-25-2007, 06:19 PM
I haven't been wild boar hunting. Many friends that go with hand guns though. When I was a kid I was out rabbit hunting and walked up a ridge right on top a feral hog. That was enough to keep me off boar hunting for ever. Knife, gun, bazooka, doesn't matter. They are safe right where they are as far as I'm concerned.

Rifleman
11-26-2007, 01:01 AM
I've heard of people hunting them with a knife. To me that is just a good way to get yourself hurt.

There are some in the area here, but none that ever cross my property. If I could find someone who would let me hunt them on thier land I would probably use my Marlin leveraction 45-70 with a .357 for a sidearm. I don't think I would use my bow unless I had a tree stand to be in.

They are tasty though.

Smok
11-26-2007, 01:12 AM
It's BIG in Hawaii they use pit bulls as catch dogs or at list we did

FVR
11-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Alot of times they will use dogs to bay the pigs. Go in and hog tie the legs. They then relocate the pigs to their farms and feed them good food, then butcher.

Hogs can get dangerous and have injured many hunters and killed many dogs. Most times they are just mellow creatures, then, Look Out.