PDA

View Full Version : Pickel Juice ?

Ted
01-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Anybody here know if it's safe or possible to reuse the store bought pickle juice left in the jar after the pickels are gone.

My kids are pickle freaks, and being one that hates to waste anything,was wondering why it just couldn't be used to pickle whatever you wanted.

Any thoughts?

gryffynklm
01-23-2010, 11:06 PM
I tried that once with Claussens and the fresh pickles turned bad. I couldn't guess how long it took to go bad. I put the fresh cut pickles wedges in the jar before I left came back 4 weeks later and they were nasty looking. I didn't even open the jar.

I could guess that they were raw and didn't go through a heat bath to sterilize them. Also if you consider that you are adding the moisture from the fresh pickle to the brine there by diluting its concentration. The brine content will try to seek equilibrium inside the pickle in and out.

I might do more just as a marinade or flavoring to some fresh cucumber or pickles and use them inside of a week. Beyond that.....?

Winnie
01-23-2010, 11:23 PM
You can make your own pickle liquor Ted. It's VERY late here (something woke me up) so I'll post something later. It's basically vinegar with added whole spices and some sugar.

nell67
01-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Some people make their own pickled eggs with the left over juice,and some use the juice in other foods instead of adding pickles.

There are a few chili recipes out there that call for pickle juice...

FVR
01-23-2010, 11:30 PM
With Claussen pickles, there is never any juice left.

I just chug it.

Pal334
01-24-2010, 06:16 AM
Some people make their own pickled eggs with the left over juice,and some use the juice in other foods instead of adding pickles.

There are a few chili recipes out there that call for pickle juice...

You beat me to that one. I also add a bit of beet juice for color.

crashdive123
01-24-2010, 08:27 AM
It also makes a pretty good cleaner for non-porous surfaces.

LindyLu
01-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Pickle juice (not the sweet kind) is great for blueberry bushes. Dilute about 1 part juice to 4 parts water & dump on your berry bushes. I guess it's the acid. I also put it on gooseberry bushes & currants.

Rick
01-24-2010, 09:04 AM
When you add cukes into the juice and don't actually can it then all the bacteria and spores that were on the cukes and that were introduced into the brine each time you used a fork to retrieve a pickle (you did use a fork, right? Tell me you didn't stick your dirty fingers in the jar!). So it's just a matter of time before the new cukes spoil.

You'll be money ahead to can those cukes from scratch, IMHO.

edr730
01-24-2010, 09:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DXkgdtdXN8

Here's a simple quick video on making pickles.

Durtyoleman
01-24-2010, 09:12 AM
I like tossing a variety of veggies in the leftover juice from greek peppers and letting them soak a week in the fridge. But it seldom lasts much longer than that before being eaten, celery...beer...carrot...beer...cuke...beer...beer ...beeer...oops.
D.O.M.

Rick
01-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Those would be really good if stored in the fridge. There appears to be enough salt along with the cold to keep them from spoiling. The big problem with the video....not enough garlic!!!!!

Ted
01-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks folks, I hate to waste anything,that can be used for something! Cleaner,fertilize (or acidifier) great ideas that nerver would of crossed me bean.

your_comforting_company
01-24-2010, 12:09 PM
I've reused the juice to flavor mustard seeds for snacks. There are more steps to making pickles than just sticking them in the flavored vinegar, and it requires the use of hydrated lime (CaCO3) which just happens to be the active ingredient in Tums. I also use Calcium Carbonate in lieu of hardwood ashes in the summertime for taking the hair and grain off hides. the vid above is a good reference for pickling and there is a recipe usually on the back of the lime box.
I drink the juice too, and the wife uses it for flavorings, but just the pickle juice won't "pickle" by itself.

Rick
01-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Oh, well yuck. You don't have to use lime. I've used Mrs. Wages Dill Pickles spices...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/511sC3cvf5L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Bring vinegar and water to a boil, add spices, hot pack, wait, enjoy!

your_comforting_company
01-25-2010, 12:41 AM
Mrs wages is the brand of pickling lime that I use lol

Batch
01-25-2010, 09:40 AM
I've only tried it one time so far. Mainly, because I haven't found the smaller cucumbers for pickling. The recipe I tried called for apple vinegar. Which wasn't that great.

What kind of vinegar do you all use?

By the way from what I read pickling without canning would keep for a couple of weeks in the fridge. But, canning would keep for much longer even stored out of the fridge. Pickling is salt curing basically. At least that is what I read.

gryffynklm
01-25-2010, 11:00 AM
My chiropractor told me about using brine pickle juice as an antacid. I use it all the time and it is quite effective. A bout two table spoons should do it. Claussens, Vlasic dill, Ive even used the juice from pickled banana pepper rings.

crashdive123
01-25-2010, 01:00 PM
What kind of vinegar do you all use?

By the way from what I read pickling without canning would keep for a couple of weeks in the fridge. But, canning would keep for much longer even stored out of the fridge. Pickling is salt curing basically. At least that is what I read.

I just use white vinegar. I just opened a jar of dills that I canned last year - yummmmmmm.

rwc1969
01-25-2010, 01:26 PM
I use the leftover juice for marinades and such.

edr730
01-26-2010, 11:08 AM
When either salt, through fermentation, or vinegar is used, you still end up with an acid solution which preserves the vegetable. Either can be canned. Either can be used for the refrigerator pickles that many of us have ate during season. The salt, or brine pickles last the season, in the crock, if done correctly. Sauerkraut is about the same thing and I just brought up a scoopful from the basement. The acid juice in the pickles is a home remedy for energy and digestive problems. The advantages to the old fashioned, uncanned, fermented, salt brine pickles is that they retain the vit C ,and also, contain micro-organisms that intestinal flora needs for proper digestion and training the immune system. Doctors prescribe yogurt after antibiotics (for the micro-organisms) and Columbus used pickles when he crossed the Atlantic (for the vit C). Fermented foods are easy and a good thing.

Ted
01-26-2010, 09:00 PM
When either salt, through fermentation, or vinegar is used, you still end up with an acid solution which preserves the vegetable. Either can be canned. Either can be used for the refrigerator pickles that many of us have ate during season. The salt, or brine pickles last the season, in the crock, if done correctly. Sauerkraut is about the same thing and I just brought up a scoopful from the basement. The acid juice in the pickles is a home remedy for energy and digestive problems. The advantages to the old fashioned, uncanned, fermented, salt brine pickles is that they retain the vit C ,and also, contain micro-organisms that intestinal flora needs for proper digestion and training the immune system. Doctors prescribe yogurt after antibiotics (for the micro-organisms) and Columbus used pickles when he crossed the Atlantic (for the vit C). Fermented foods are easy and a good thing.

Wow lots of good info there! Thanks Ed