PDA

View Full Version : The Dehydrator has Arrived.

Winnie
01-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Yup it's here. In the end I plumped for one of these

https://uk2-ssl.westfalia.eu/shops/household/preserving_food_and_jam_making/preserving_food/dehydrating_/193811-food_dehydrator.htm

It's vertically heated, but from the top, the Stockli I was looking at was heated from the bottom. Looks remarkably similar to the one Nell has. I'll be giving it a test run this week so will let you know how efficient it is.
One of the supermarkets has Mangoes on offer so I think I'll make some Mango leather.

Pal334
01-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Looks like there will be a frenzy of dehydrating :) Good luck :)

hunter63
01-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Congtras, let the fun begin!
I have an electric unit, and a set of screens stacked in a holder, for "sun dried" stuff.
The screen unit I use cheese cloth to keep off the bugs.

Dried apples (chips) are my favorite.
Neighbor has a tree, doesn't do anything with them, pretty wormy, but if you cut the bad spots out, slice thin, dip in lemon juice, the dry out, seem to last forever and really a good trail food.

Rick
01-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Grapes make some wonderful raisins. I like them much better than store bought. Dehydrating them concentrates the sugars. Mmmmmm good!

crashdive123
01-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Woo Hoo - sheath leather! Ummm, errrr, I mean mango leather.:blushing:

2dumb2kwit
01-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Grapes make some wonderful raisins.

Ummmm.........what else would you make raisins with?:online2long:

2dumb2kwit
01-23-2010, 07:18 PM
One of the supermarkets has Mangoes on offer so I think I'll make some Mango leather.

If you make yourself a mango leather outfit, I expect to be the first to see the pictures! LOL:winkiss:

Winnie
01-23-2010, 07:21 PM
If you make yourself a mango leather outfit, I expect to be the first to see the pictures! LOL:winkiss:

Oh for goodness sake, get your mind out of the gutter:)
Mango Leather might be a bit sti......oh never mind.

Rick
01-23-2010, 07:35 PM
what else would you make raisins with?

I have an idea for a couple of things we can use. Care to volunteer?

2dumb2kwit
01-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Oh for goodness sake, get your mind out of the gutter:)
Mango Leather might be a bit sti......oh never mind.

Me?
Mind in the gutter?
I was playing nice.
I didn't even say anything about it being eatable!:innocent:
(I bet it would be tasty, though! LOL)

mcgyver
01-29-2010, 02:04 PM
I've stumbled upon something a few years ago that makes the dried apples even better.
Rather than using lime or lemon juice (sour) to inhibit browning. Try Orange juice. I tried it out of necessity once, and I'll never go back. It adds a unique sweetness to an already great taste , while still having enough citric acid to perform it's desired job.

Oh yeah, Strawberries are nasty dried.:thumbdown: