PDA

View Full Version : guard animals

corndog-44
11-17-2007, 06:19 AM
1) Llamas are used to protect livestock like sheep.

2) Mules and donkeys are used to keep coyotes away.

3) Geese will defend the home ground against intruders.

4) Guinea fowls make great "watchdogs".

Maybe some others here could list more.

LadyTrapper
11-17-2007, 08:28 AM
We raise free range wild phase turkeys and they get pretty nasty at times with visitors.

HOP
11-17-2007, 11:20 AM
LadyTrapper do the turkeys calm down this time of year (thanksgiving)

LadyTrapper
11-17-2007, 01:32 PM
LMAO good one HOP!
We raised 10 toms and have two hens. The two hens are the only ones left staying in the yard and we would like to believe the rest of the toms(except the ones that made the dinner table) have gone truely wild and frolick in the wilderness somewhere out there. The hens have become more of pets and they are safe no matter what time of year it is.
But I do have a question...about once a month the larger hen will become really aggressive with us(not just company) in the yard. Puffing up and charging us for a fight, not backing down. She does this about a week, them is calm and docile for another month. She is a bearded hen. Anyone know why she would do this?

spiritman
11-17-2007, 02:52 PM
well my pit bull is very protective and she'll probably eat somebody someday... but what can ya do?

dilligaf2u2
11-17-2007, 06:02 PM
LadyTrapper

But I do have a question...about once a month the larger hen will become really aggressive with us(not just company) in the yard. Puffing up and charging us for a fight, not backing down. She does this about a week, them is calm and docile for another month. She is a bearded hen. Anyone know why she would do this?

Sounds like here. Once a month TDW and TGF get together and give me a hard time. I think it has to do with the loonier cycle and post men sterilizing cycle.

Ugly makes a lot on noise when something crosses his boundary. TDW will get down right mean if I threaten to look in her purse. TGF is the quiet one! She strikes without warning.

Don

survivalhike
11-17-2007, 11:37 PM
Dolphins have a uncanny reputation for protecting people from great white sharks. It seems that dolphins are scarry to sharks, and they like helping out another critter in need. It's a mammal thing.

owl_girl
11-18-2007, 12:01 AM
Dolphins have a uncanny reputation for protecting people from great white sharks. It seems that dolphins are scarry to sharks, and they like helping out another critter in need. It's a mammal thing.

Yea I saw a video of a dolphin saving a person from a shark but I also seen a video of a dolphin trying to rape a person. They also kill other animals for fun and then don’t eat them. My point with this is that they aren’t the innocent tame like creatures people give them the image of being. They are wild animals and swimming with wild dolphins can still be risky despite their reputation.

Sorry I can’t give you the video for reference (can’t find it on the internet)