PDA

View Full Version : Forum "Refreshing"

pocomoonskyeyes
01-22-2010, 12:46 PM
OK this might just be me or it could be happening to others too. I signed in,read a PM,hit "New Posts", and was told there were no new posts to show. There were like 12 or so at least before I read the PM. For this reason I have taken to "Lurking" before I ever sign in. Just trying to keep "current". Does this happen to anyone else,or is it just me? I know I have an old PC and will have to replace it before too much longer. But I am wondering if this happens to other folks too.

BENESSE
01-22-2010, 01:01 PM
I've noticed the same thing Poco.
I also noticed that a post could move to another thread
without notice or a reason that at least I could figure out.
All part I guess, of trying to keeps us alert and on our toes.

RangerXanatos
01-22-2010, 01:51 PM
I get the same things about it saying no new posts. After a while, it automatically will say that you have read them. But you can also go to "Today's Posts" under the "Quick Links."

pocomoonskyeyes
01-22-2010, 02:23 PM
I get the same things about it saying no new posts. After a while, it automatically will say that you have read them. But you can also go to "Today's Posts" under the "Quick Links."

Yeah That's what I end up doing, mostly I "lurk" and only log in when I need to post, PM, or look at a pic someone has posted. I'm now only logging in to do those things that "only members" can do. Otherwise I'm not logging in at all. It is actually easier to read posts/threads and stay current without logging in at all. This almost goes against the benefits of being a member. Either that or staying logged in as long as my PC is on. Even then after a certain length of time it "refreshes" and I end up losing track of threads/posts. I am hoping by posting about this that something can be done to correct this. I thought it might have been just me and my OLD PC. Apparently not.

Rick
01-22-2010, 02:36 PM
It has to do with how cookies are set on your machine. Chris can provide the details but when you log in and check "remember me" a cookie is set on your machine. After a set period of time, I think it's about 10 minutes of inactivity based on what I've seen, the forum will mark your unread threads as read. I suppose if your cookie were reset or deleted for whatever reason you would immediately get the same message.

If you don't check the little box then no cookies are set and you'll probably get that message right away.

Another way around it if you do get that message is to go to Quick Links at the right in the top green bar and select Today's Posts. That will give you everything that has posted since midnight but not necessarily all the ones you haven't read.

Sourdough
01-22-2010, 03:08 PM
WOW, and all this time I thought "REFRESHING" meant, look sourdough has posted more brilliance.

pocomoonskyeyes
01-22-2010, 04:45 PM
It has to do with how cookies are set on your machine. Chris can provide the details but when you log in and check "remember me" a cookie is set on your machine. After a set period of time, I think it's about 10 minutes of inactivity based on what I've seen, the forum will mark your unread threads as read. I suppose if your cookie were reset or deleted for whatever reason you would immediately get the same message.

If you don't check the little box then no cookies are set and you'll probably get that message right away.

Another way around it if you do get that message is to go to Quick Links at the right in the top green bar and select Today's Posts. That will give you everything that has posted since midnight but not necessarily all the ones you haven't read.
OK I always check "remember me", and even when I am reading the posts/threads it still "refreshes" and changes to the most current 3 or 4(sometimes just 1 or 2). Yes I knew about the quick links options as I use that all the time. Sometimes though the "Today's posts" will be 3 or 4 pages if there has been a lot of posting activity.
However lately it has been doing this within a couple of minutes after logging on,which is one reason I "Lurk" a lot, instead of just logging in. Today it did it immediately after I logged in. As soon as I did not see the "current threads' I posted this thread, as it seems to be getting worse every time.

Rick
01-22-2010, 06:05 PM
The other possibility is I haven't a clue.

rwc1969
01-22-2010, 06:23 PM
I get the same thing poco whether I'm idle or not. Sometimes it does it and other times it don't. Weird!

I thought someone was using my user name and marking all posts read or something. LOL!

Winnie
01-23-2010, 03:43 PM
I don't log in! I have WSF homepage saved in my bookmarks, click on the link and presto here I am. I've never had a problem with refreshing(isn't that what a cup of tea is for?)

Sourdough
01-23-2010, 04:14 PM
I've never had a problem with refreshing(isn't that what a cup of tea is for?)

Well, If that is your cup of tea, some might prefer some "Afternoon Delight":innocent::):innocent:

Winnie
01-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Well, If that is your cup of tea, some might prefer some "Afternoon Delight":innocent::):innocent:

Oh, that takes me back!:)

Swamprat1958
01-23-2010, 06:43 PM
OK this might just be me or it could be happening to others too. I signed in,read a PM,hit "New Posts", and was told there were no new posts to show. There were like 12 or so at least before I read the PM. For this reason I have taken to "Lurking" before I ever sign in. Just trying to keep "current". Does this happen to anyone else,or is it just me? I know I have an old PC and will have to replace it before too much longer. But I am wondering if this happens to other folks too.

Ditto, I have the same problem. I try to read everything in the new posts before refreshing or getting out of the new posts.

pocomoonskyeyes
01-24-2010, 11:41 AM
I don't understand it, today I'm having no problems at all. I have even Pm'ed 3 or 4 times at least and I can still catch up on stuff I haven't read.

pocomoonskyeyes
04-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Okay I have been experiencing this problem for months, on at least 3 different PC's and 2 different browsers. Some others are also having this problem. To be honest I don't even Log in anymore unless I ABSOLUTELY feel compelled to say something.
It seems that no one can figure this out, and this is the ONLY forum powered by V-Bulletin,that I am a member of that this happens on,so it is site specific. Is there anyway you can get someone to look into this problem?? Although there were 5 pages that had "Unread posts"(When I logged in) by the time I finish this post there will only be probably 3 threads that show that I have not read. Even when I go to sub forums it shows them as "read". This is in another thread also that was posted a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't find it but I did find this one. That shows this problem has been happening for quite a while. It seems to affect only certain members. I am at a loss. PLEASE help. I really like this forum, but honestly, I am coming here less and less because of this problem.

Edit: There were 5 pages, now only 16 threads that are marked as unread.

Chris
04-15-2010, 10:04 PM
this isn't a site issue, it is a vbulletin issue, a long term issue. Maybe in different versions of the software it is different.

But the software does not actually track which threads you've read, and which threads you've not read. It just doesn't do it. Instead it assumes after X minutes you've read the threads.

You can always look at new posts for the day (instead of your last login) or leave the list of unreads in one window and open up new windows to read them. I'm unsure if it is a setting I can change though.

But even if I could change it, I could make it 30 minutes, which would delay the problem, but not eliminate it.

your_comforting_company
04-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Isn't there an option in "Tools > Internet Options > Temporary Internet files and History" that handles page refreshing? I wonder if you turn off the option "check for new versions of stored pages" would that solve the problem? I use the back button to go back to the "new posts" search and most times it keeps all the unreads, though sometimes it still loses some or marks them as "read" but still keeps them in the list.
Might be worth trying.

pocomoonskyeyes
04-16-2010, 01:54 PM
this isn't a site issue, it is a vbulletin issue, a long term issue. Maybe in different versions of the software it is different.

But the software does not actually track which threads you've read, and which threads you've not read. It just doesn't do it. Instead it assumes after X minutes you've read the threads.

You can always look at new posts for the day (instead of your last login) or leave the list of unreads in one window and open up new windows to read them. I'm unsure if it is a setting I can change though.

But even if I could change it, I could make it 30 minutes, which would delay the problem, but not eliminate it.

It might "Delay it" long enough to get Caught up. I am losing threads as soon as I read the first post usually. However today, (so far anyway) I am not. Sometimes it does it faster than other days, and the amount I "lose" varies! I have logged in and lost all but 2-3 threads before. It is weird, it does not seem to have any consistency.

I think you are right though, it is now starting to do it with another V-bulletin Forum(started yesterday I think, I don't go to it very often.). It MUST be some software glitch. I can't think of anything else it could be. I have tried just about everything on my end. At least the things I know to try!! Thank you Chris for checking into it. I am thinking that V-Bulletin may not even be aware of it!!

The other 3 V-Bulletin forums that I am on, do not have this problem.

How long has it been since the software was updated?? I know one recently was down for about 1 1/2 hours to update the software, so I am thinking that one did some serious Updating to the software.

Really I am Computer Illiterate. I am just purely guessing about what the differences are. I just can't figure out why one works fine, one works OK and one seems to have "Glitches".

I do know that if no one says anything that nothing will be done. I hope I am not being too much of a pain in the rear. Yet this is kinda' frustrating as a user.