PDA

View Full Version : Quick-Clot what size to carry......???? HELP

Sourdough
01-20-2010, 12:02 PM
What size.....5" X 5" or 3.5" X 3.5" Both maybe....? What size do you carry.

Rick
01-20-2010, 12:05 PM
I carry the 50 gram size. The 5X5. Perhaps I'm wrong but I think this is an area where more is better and I'm not going to fumble around trying to figure out which size to use. Jam it in and wrap it up and get the heck to someone that can save you. That's my view anyway.

Sourdough
01-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Yes, something about bleeding to death, with the shallow joy of having saved $4.00 is unsettling.

Rick
01-20-2010, 12:12 PM
That was actually a very good question. I just got off the phone with QuikClot. They recommend carrying two 25 gram packages. You aren't wasting supplies by using an item too large and if you have a wound too large for one 25 gram package you simply add a second one. I hadn't considered that and probably should have. Gotta give you rep for the question.

Sourdough
01-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Is QuickClot effected in anyway buy extreme cold.......? If left in the truck at -35*F for weeks.......????

Pal334
01-20-2010, 02:20 PM
That was actually a very good question. I just got off the phone with QuikClot. They recommend carrying two 25 gram packages. You aren't wasting supplies by using an item too large and if you have a wound too large for one 25 gram package you simply add a second one. I hadn't considered that and probably should have. Gotta give you rep for the question.

Good thinking, and if you are unfortunate to have two nasty "boo boos" you can in theory still have the second 25 to use.

Rick
01-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Is QuickClot effected in anyway buy extreme cold.......? If left in the truck at -35*F for weeks.......????

Question: How should QuikClot® be stored?

Answer: QuikClot can be stored as you would store any other surgical dressing. Kaolin will remain stable in varying temperatures including extreme heat or cold, however it should not be stored in direct sunlight for extended periods of time.

Source: http://www.z-medica.com/quikclot/zmedica_faq_answer.asp?faqID=29

crashdive123
01-20-2010, 05:29 PM
I carry a couple of the 25 gram packs. With any luck at all they will reach their expiration date, at which time I will gladly order more to replace the ones that have never been used.

TomChemEngineer
01-21-2010, 10:36 PM
So, QuikClot is just Kaolin. Hmm... White Clay. Dry, finely powdered clay. So, there is a way to make your own if you want, and sew it into some clean t-shirt material so you don't have to have all that powder cleaned out of the wound. Slap it on and in a wound and get some help.
Also, something to think about are the little diapers that have the moisture absorbent polymer powder in them. Of course, don't open them up and get the powder loose, but putting that over a bleeder might absorb and clot blood quickly too. Anybody ever try this out? Just thinking of alternates.

Rick
01-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Anybody ever try this out?

No and there might be a reason for that. The stuff is like $10 why go to all that trouble then get an infection and die?

Boker
01-22-2010, 12:00 AM
I carry the 50 gram size. The 5X5. Perhaps I'm wrong but I think this is an area where more is better and I'm not going to fumble around trying to figure out which size to use. Jam it in and wrap it up and get the heck to someone that can save you. That's my view anyway.

Ummm....I think you got that backwards. :clap:

Rick
01-22-2010, 12:01 AM
How so? The QuikClot goes on first and then the bandage. Jam it in and wrap it up.

Sourdough
01-22-2010, 06:47 AM
After 10 days of careful reflection as too which size to order, I decided to order two knives. (It is called reverse-polish logic, that is a mathematical computing system) See, I need two knives to justify the need for the QuickClot. OK, any excuse for a new knife, will work for me.

BENESSE
01-22-2010, 12:58 PM
After 10 days of careful reflection as too which size to order, I decided to order two pairs of shoes. (It is called reverse-polish logic, that is a mathematical computing system) See, I need two pairs of shoes to justify the need for the QuickClot. OK, any excuse for a new pair of shoes, will work for me.

I so get it, SD.

TomChemEngineer
01-22-2010, 07:47 PM
No and there might be a reason for that. The stuff is like $10 why go to all that trouble then get an infection and die?

Yah, agreed, can get infection from anything. Standard practice is to assume infection as soon as the wound occurs and start on antibiotics (Cephalhexin or E-mycin) immediately. So, antibiotics should be in the kit right beside any QuikClot or alternative as well, I guess.

Rick
01-22-2010, 08:45 PM
I actually have both a broad spectrum A.B. and pain pills in the BOB. I talked to my doctor and explained that we like to canoe, camp and hike and he wrote me scripts for both. Pretty cool I thought.

Camp10
01-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Thats pretty good of your doctor. I have some stuff in the first aid kit but nothing perscription strength and nothing if an infection should occur. I do keep up to date on any shots I might need...just had a tetanus booster two weeks ago.

Rick
01-22-2010, 08:56 PM
He gave me an AB for my grandkids as well. I keep it here at the house, however. When we go out I take the AB and the pain pills and put them in a first aid kit. The idea for the AB is to not have to cut a trip short and the pain pills until help arrives.