PDA

View Full Version : Question: Black Rifles

Ole WV Coot
01-20-2010, 10:55 AM
I think I will purchase one, prefer left-handed. I will be ordering from a friend who doesn't have any stocked. Stag Arms probably unless someone can think of something better. I will want to add "goodies" and don't care for the last one I had in the '60s. Have never owned one since. Any suggestions, brand, model, caliber etc??? Will need optics, tac lite, laser for sure while he is in a generous mood(at cost). Will have to buy from specs & photo only, can't lay my hands on any, don't know anyone that admits owning one, no chance to fire one either.

Sourdough
01-20-2010, 11:11 AM
First choice: Stag Arms Model 7L (Hunter). Second choice: Stag Arms Model 5L (order with the weaver gas block). I am not proud of my having come over too the Black Rifle Users Group. But for my daily walk'abouts I carry a Rock River AR-15 in 6.8 SPC, and feel it is the best all around tool for two and four legged engagements. I loath high capacity magazines, so I walk'about with the 5 or 10 rounder in rifle, and other magazine in pack. I use only Leupold "Quick Release" long lever rings, and currently have two scopes pre-sighted for quick change, as application dictates. Primary optic is Leupold 1.4X to 4X Euro 30MM with German #4 reticle. I suggest high rings.

Rick
01-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Ah, say it ain't so. Are you a southpaw, too?

Sourdough
01-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Ah, say it ain't so. Are you a southpaw, too?

Not Me........I am a "NORTH" Paw......:):):)

Rick
01-20-2010, 11:42 AM
I think I will purchase one, prefer left-handed.

Coot said he wanted a lefty. This is scary. He's a former telephone guy and left handed as am I. (shaking head).

Sourdough
01-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Coot said he wanted a lefty. This is scary. He's a former telephone guy and left handed as am I. (shaking head).

It is not your fault that your were wired Backwards.......:innocent:

Rick
01-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Lefties are the only folks in their right mind.

glockcop
01-20-2010, 12:28 PM
The accessorise on an AR are all very personal. If you have a question on a specific accessory that would be a little more helpful. 360 degree rail system (with rail covers) and back up iron sights on a flat top are important. Rail mounted light is great to have also (Sure fire is the best). "TROY", "Sampson", and "Midwest Industries" are the best back up iron sights out there IMO. The "Midwest Industries" are the best bang for the buck and can be had in a very low profile model to fit under a hunting/tactical scope. Some are too bulky to fit under the scope. Trijicon and Aimpoint make great short to med range optics which will not interfere with back up iron sights. Hunting/Tactical scopes are best for longer range shooting. I like Leupold Tactical scopes in 3.5-10x50 with quick detachable scope rings for the longer range shooting irons. A 40mm scope and Standard to Med height rings work fine together. 50mm scopes will require Med to High rings. Keep in mind that back up iron sights even the very low profile models I prefer will require at least Med height rings to clear a hunting/tactical scope at the rear when they are folded down. 6 position collapsable stock is another feature to have. It is all is "mission specific" and very personal as said before. What ever you do make sure you get "M4" feed ramps (they are longer for ease of chambering and feed reliability) and a "Wylde" chamber. Those are absolutly paramount features that I personally WILL NOT go without in an AR. Trust me on this. I know that this is alot to take in at one time but do alot of research and try to get some hands on fitting and measuring of your accessories (especially scope ring heights with back up iron sights) at a good gun shop. Caliber? .223/556 or 7.62x39 are it IMO. Good luck.

Ole WV Coot
01-20-2010, 03:05 PM

I had to fess up. Worked on some equipment and complained it was set up for rightys and the other two guys in the crew plus the boss were left handed, I learned after I shot my mouth off. It was a pain to climb a pole and have everything on the wrong side, same inside and never got a break.:blushing:

Ole WV Coot
01-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks men, gave me something to chew on. I hate to buy without holding or shooting one. I will check every suggestion I can get, appreciate it.

Camp10
01-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Wow! More pole climbing, utility working lefties!!

hunter63
01-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Every time I try to put together an "Out-fit" for the EBRs, I run into brain lock.

I guess I'll just have to sit down and think:
What will be my use (then what would be my Real use)
Do I want to scope it,? pro/cons, tactical, red dot, night vision?
Sling?
Adj stock?
Forearm?
Rails?
Lights?
Uppers?
cal?
Man it's enough to make my head explode.
There I go again.
Let us know what you come up with.

SARKY
01-20-2010, 11:21 PM
If you are going to get a complete leftie rifle, it is hard to beat the Stag lefties. As to gizmos and gadget for it, that would depend on what you want to use it for. The same goes for the caliber you want.

aflineman
01-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Wow! More pole climbing, utility working lefties!!

I am a righty, and all of my pole partners have been lefties by my choice. Just works VERY well when both folks are working off of their strong side. Makes tying insulators and installing dampners MUCH easier.

As far as the AR15 goes, Stag is the only one whom I know making a rifle (or just an upper) which ejects on the left side. This is a nice feature, but make for a proprietary system. One of the very nice things about the AR15 is the ability to get parts almost anywhere. With lefty rifle, this is harder. That being said, you can put another upper on the lower that comes with the rifle, and have a rifle that works for a righty, and has parts availability.
As far as accessories go, most will work on that rifle with no problem. The main changes are in the bolt, carrier, and where the ejection port is located on the upper. I have pretty much gone back to "simple" on mine. All that stuff just seems to make it not so light and handy, at least for me.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/AFLineman/1a/DSC03187.jpg

SARKY
01-25-2010, 08:13 PM
I would think that the only difference between a lefty and a righty would be the Upper reciever (election port on left) and the bolt. Isn't the ejector is in the bolt itself?

hunter63
01-25-2010, 08:28 PM
But for my daily walk'abouts I carry a Rock River AR-15 in 6.8 SPC, and feel it is the best all around tool for two and four legged engagements.

Just curious............
Friend of mine just added a 6.8 upper on his, what is the advantage besides size that an AR 10 in .308 wouldn't handle?

Sourdough
01-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Just curious............
Friend of mine just added a 6.8 upper on his, what is the advantage besides size that an AR 10 in .308 wouldn't handle?

One of the things that gets over looked is "TOTAL" Weight. I decided to try the new Rock River LAR-10 which is the lightest AR-10 offered by anyone comes in at 8.2 pounds naked.

When I took it out of the box, I went WOW, Eureka.......:) I was happy, so I put a 1 1/4" Boyt Quick Adjustable sling on, added the lightest scope available, the Leupold straight 2.5 fixed compact which weighs 8.1 oz. QR Rings. Now we were near, very near NINE Pounds, it comes with a 20 round magazine into which I only put ten rounds so as to keep the weight down, well at that point it was too heavy, and with full magazine it was nearing 10#.

For a yard gun that is fine, but for doing 5 miles per day off trail, climbing cliffs, crossing streams, and remember this is for FUN, not Military employment. I just feel that for man and beast the 6.8 SPC sending 115 Grain bullet at 2,600 FPS will get'er done. I feel it is at least 85% of the performance one should expect from a 7.62 NATO.

Some place I have a thread on walk'about guns, I try to bump it up.:)

hunter63
01-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks SD, was just wondering.

aflineman
01-25-2010, 09:37 PM
I would think that the only difference between a lefty and a righty would be the Upper reciever (election port on left) and the bolt. Isn't the ejector is in the bolt itself?

Bolt, carrier, and the ejector are different. Forward assist is on the left side, so scallops are on the left side. Ejector is on the left side, and cut different. Bolt is built so ejector is of the left side, and where the lugs are to strip the rounds from the magazine. I don't have a lefty upper around here anymore for pictures, but they are different. You might call Stag and confirm. They have always been more than helpful when I have called. Stag is a good company to deal with, and they do make a quality product.(bolded so it did not get lost in the rest of my ramblings). I am just pointing out some of my perceived drawbacks to the system. I shoot right handed though. I had a left handed upper for my Son's AR15, but he decided he would rather have his eject on the right side (which he was used to from mine), even though he shoots lefty. We did swap/add some controls to the lower to make that more lefty friendly.

SARKY
01-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Thanks for that claification.
I'm still partial to the 6.5Grendel over the 6.8 SPC. Much closer to .308 specs than the 6.8 is.

countrymech
01-26-2010, 01:58 AM
Just a question, "What is the availability of the perspective rounds?" My inventory consists of 7.62 and 5.56, must be the 'Jarhead' in me. The 6.5 and 6.8 are far superior to the 5.56, but what is more attainable without a Dillon press? Stag Arms puts out a good platform. Readily altered to shoot a variety of rounds by swapping a couple components, it is nowhere close to the Jammin' Jennies of yesteryear but I would suggest a gas piston conversion kit. Money well spent. Just an opinion, Paul.

Sourdough
01-26-2010, 08:09 AM
Just a question, "What is the availability of the perspective rounds?" My inventory consists of 7.62 and 5.56, must be the 'Jarhead' in me. The 6.5 and 6.8 are far superior to the 5.56, but what is more attainable without a Dillon press? .

The 6.8 Special Purpose Cartridge is manufactured by several companies, and I have no problem finding ammo. I can't speak to the 6.5 Grendel.