PDA

View Full Version : Ram @ 765 yds 7mm mag

hunter63
01-17-2010, 03:20 PM
This is one reason I like the 7 mm mag.
Ram @ 765 yds, first time shooting a gun, once in a life time hunt.

http://www.gunwerks.com/Testimonials/Videos/Dustin-Lym---Wyoming-Bighorn-Sheep-at-765-Yards.aspx

glockcop
01-17-2010, 08:43 PM
I've got two 7 Rem Mags but don't shoot them much. I love the relatively low recoil (30-06 ish)for how flat it shoots and how hard it hits. I just don't need that kind of performance at the short range I hunt. It is truly one of the two greatest hunting rifle caliber for medium to large gamer out there IMO. Best

Stony
01-17-2010, 11:35 PM
7mm RM: good calibre, no argument there.
gunworks testimonial: not so much!

hunter63
01-18-2010, 12:25 PM
LOL, I figured that this video would bring out the non-believers.

As I do shoot my 7 mag regularly, and is my favorite rifle/cal, I guess I would LIKE to believe it, but I gotta agree with y'all that is a S-T-R-E-C-H.

GC, it kinda funny that you would say the 30-06 is a milder recoil, as in my experience the opposite is true.
You are correct in depending on the 30-06, the most widly used, and accecpted for most anything, cal in history.
I not debating that.

I (me personally) have always thought that the 30-06 had a "harsher recoil" than the 7 mag.
To me the 7 mag is more of a "push" than a "kick".
But that is just me, and the rifle type, weight, stock design, etc plays a big part in actual, and precieved kick.

BTW, check out the rifle:
http://www.gunwerks.com/Products/Gunwerks-LR-1000-Shooting-System.aspx

Now assuming the shot was real, WOW, good job

glockcop
01-18-2010, 01:56 PM
LOL, I figured that this video would bring out the non-believers.

As I do shoot my 7 mag regularly, and is my favorite rifle/cal, I guess I would LIKE to believe it, but I gotta agree with y'all that is a S-T-R-E-C-H.

GC, it kinda funny that you would say the 30-06 is a milder recoil, as in my experience the opposite is true.
You are correct in depending on the 30-06, the most widly used, and accecpted for most anything, cal in history.
I not debating that.

I (me personally) have always thought that the 30-06 had a "harsher recoil" than the 7 mag.
To me the 7 mag is more of a "push" than a "kick".
But that is just me, and the rifle type, weight, stock design, etc plays a big part in actual, and precieved kick.

BTW, check out the rifle:
http://www.gunwerks.com/Products/Gunwerks-LR-1000-Shooting-System.aspx

Now assuming the shot was real, WOW, good job

Hunter, In my rifles the 7 Mag and .30-06 recoil very similarly. Neither is punishing. I sometimes hear how the 7 Rem Mag "kicks so bad". Like you, I know that not to be true. It is my second favorite hunting caliber (I like .30) for no other reason than taste. I have nothing to back it up but simply the "security" in what I have done with my 30-06. I am sure the 7 mag would have done just the same but the .30-06 is what I started with years ago so that is just what I "like" to use. I could get along fine with either if I had to keep just "one gun". The 7mm (.284) and .30 caliber common hunting cartriages give up little to each other with today's modern ammo. They are both wonderful medium to large game getters IMO. The "Flatness" of the shot is not that much of a concern for me because I rarely get a 250-300 yard shot where I hunt. Mostly well under 175 yrds actually. If I shot further at game, the 7 Mag just might replace the .30-06 in my box blind for it's flatter trajectory. Be safe and good luck filling the freezer.

hunter63
01-18-2010, 02:08 PM
GC, Well said,
I hear ya, that's why they make so many different rifles and calibers.
We are who we are and like what we like......The confidence in one's tools, is half the value of success.