PDA

View Full Version : Hey all you Lurkers!!!!

Beo
11-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Always see ya guys and gals reading... why don'tcha join us we need more victims... I mean members for more points of view. :D

Beo
11-15-2007, 03:21 PM
And new topics to learn and teach too.

trax
11-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Yeah....don't just hang around the edge of the treeline wondering...who wants to be the first one to take a step into those darky and hairy woods?

Beo
11-15-2007, 03:31 PM
We don't bite... well not over the internet anyway. Well maybe some of us have figured out how to... but not me.... grrrrrunch gobble gobble. :D

nell67
11-15-2007, 07:52 PM
We don't bite... well not over the internet anyway. Well maybe some of us have figured out how to... but not me.... grrrrrunch gobble gobble. :D

Who says we dont bite????LOL

spiritman
11-17-2007, 03:20 PM
I try to only bite back... so's I can say i didn't start it ;)

nell67
11-17-2007, 03:49 PM
I try to only bite back... so's I can say i didn't start it ;)
Starting it is half the fun!

zaebra
11-17-2007, 04:42 PM
I enjoy reading what you guys have to say, but seldom feel that I have much to contribute that doesn't feel like "yeah, what he said". :) I wish I could get out more and really practice survivalism, but the reality of it is that I have a regular day job, a wife who has to camp out of a car for health reasons (no hiking), and I'm a weenie and don't like camping in the cold (so that shoots down september through april for camping). I have a couple of areas that I'm extremely interested in learning more about, though, and I keep hoping someone would post or talk about them (stone knapping knives and arrow points, and bowmaking from start to finish).

So, there I am, all sticking my neck out and stuff. :)
/resume lurk

dilligaf2u2
11-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Bitting? Don't you need teeth for that? Well that lets me out.

When I have something worth saying, I'll let you know! Till them I will sit quietly in my corner, quilting a new scarf out of bob-wire and bailing wire.

Hey someone has to make the Christmas gifts for the inlaws and outlaws!

Don

Ssgt_DimeBag
03-26-2011, 05:43 PM
I think the lurkers have seen how some newbies are attacked by the "click",Yes I know the play on words of "Like minded people",but I'm sure most are afraid to join because of something they feel would just be attacked.Does this detour me?No.At the same time I don't see much compassion or understanding of others views.
Good healthy debate are always a good thing.Yet I see a lot of these same attackers time and time again just lasing out on people and yet most I have seen there photos in one of the post here and I have to say."And not trying to be Insulting",but most of them wouldn't last a week out in the bush in a real survival scenario.
Most of the ones doing the most attacking are so out of shape you would just be a liability IMHO.
If we were ever in a real survival scenario I would just pat you on the shoulder and say "Good luck my friend" as I left you behind.
There is a reason they say "The body is a temple".
Also this mind set is not a survival mind set at all.The number one weapon in a survival situation is your mind.
As they also say in the Marines "A Marine is only as good as his mind and body will take him"!
No I have not been attacked on here and yes I was one of the lurkers for a very long time before I decided to join.
Why did I?Well just thought it was time to put my self out there more then for someone to just see (guest).
I see that we have 5000 pulse members,but I would like to also know how many of them are still active?
Am I bashing the Forum?No not at all.I just find it hypocritical that some do a lot of judgment calls with out even trying to get to know or understand the person there attacking is all.
Sorry for the rant.
Dime

Pal334
03-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Just out of curiosity what do you base theses comments on?

"Yet I see a lot of these same attackers time and time again just lasing out on people
"but most of them wouldn't last a week out in the bush in a real survival scenario."
"Most of the ones doing the most attacking are so out of shape you would just be a liability IMHO."

I am just trying to understand better your point I guess.

Ssgt_DimeBag
03-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Just out of curiosity what do you base theses comments on?

"Yet I see a lot of these same attackers time and time again just lasing out on people
"but most of them wouldn't last a week out in the bush in a real survival scenario."
"Most of the ones doing the most attacking are so out of shape you would just be a liability IMHO."

I am just trying to understand better your point I guess.

Well not to turn this into some P***ing match,but here is just some examples.
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?1951-show-your-self
Here you can just take a look for your self.

Here is the latest one.As I say in my defense that I also was a lurker for quite awhile before joining.This poor kid was attacked instead of getting constructive criticism.
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?15648-Anyone-else-want-to-do-this
Once again there are other post of the same.Just feel that maybe some should have taken into account that the poor boy sounds to have troubles that others should not have passed such a harsh judgment on him so quickly is all.
Forums are like churches people come and go till they find the one that is going to be most welcoming.

Justin Case
03-26-2011, 09:17 PM
You talkin About Me ?

http://blog.jarofjuice.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/post-muscle-guy.jpg

LOL

Pal334
03-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Well not to turn this into some P***ing match,but here is just some examples.
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?1951-show-your-self
Here you can just take a look for your self.

Here is the latest one.As I say in my defense that I also was a lurker for quite awhile before joining.This poor kid was attacked instead of getting constructive criticism.
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?15648-Anyone-else-want-to-do-this
Once again there are other post of the same.Just feel that maybe some should have taken into account that the poor boy sounds to have troubles that others should not have passed such a harsh judgment on him so quickly is all.
Fourms are like churches people come and go till they find the one that is going to be most welcoming.

I guess those examples can be interpreted as you have.

Still curious about the other remarks

Ssgt_DimeBag
03-26-2011, 09:33 PM
You talkin About Me ?

http://blog.jarofjuice.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/post-muscle-guy.jpg

LOL

LMAO!That is good.

Ssgt_DimeBag
03-26-2011, 09:48 PM
I guess those examples can be interpreted as you have.

Still curious about the other remarks

Well sir to be frank some I see are so over weight that anyone could tell that you are a liability in a survival scenario.
Do you really feel a man that is about 300 345 is going to last long humping off a mountain,or swimming a channel,or packing 45 pounds of gear?
Your mind means nothing if your body will not let you perform the most basic of functions to survive.I call this a heart attack waiting to happen.
Just walking the local park trail and snapping a picture does not put you in to the "hone survival skills area".
If your over weight it just adds to the liability.
As we all know even the most fit of people have found there selfs in a life or death situation that almost killed them.
Sports players,mountain climbers,rock climbers,former military on an outing with there child.Etc.
Were not just talking about some natural disaster that you only have to sit and wait for help.
The title of the forum is "Wilderness Survival" and frankly the one that bash the most I have seen photos of them and feel they would never last just in the shape that there in.
If your asking to post there photos or name names?I'm not.I'm sure you mouse works as well as mine does.
From my point this was one of the reasons that I stayed a "Lurker" for a bit.

Justin Case
03-26-2011, 10:03 PM
345 lbs of muscle mister !!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5Eg-R1JJfsQ/TL3-Oz3bi2I/AAAAAAAAAMk/JKPlt4bBU3g/s1600/muscleMan.jpg

heh heh heh,,,,

RangerXanatos
03-26-2011, 10:24 PM
You might be surprised. At the survival class I attended, there was an older gentleman that must've weighed in around 350 or perhaps a little less, regardless he was indeed over 300. He did everything we did and was never out of breath and stayed with the group. Though I will admit, he would not be the typical person of such size.

LowKey
03-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Justin, is that thing real?

This forum runs the gamut from Backwoods survival types to Urban disaster planners. Not everyone here is going to Rambo their way through the Zombie Apocalypse. It isn't all about surviving a wilderness disaster. The main function of this forum seems to be simple. Be Prepared. Whether it is a wilderness emergency or a local evacuation. Being here isn't all about surviving in the bush, though I'd bet quite a few on here you consider 'out of shape' could make it far longer than a week. Not everyone that survives a tragedy survives on brawn.

Justin Case
03-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Gosh I hope not !!

Ssgt_DimeBag
03-26-2011, 10:38 PM
345 lbs of muscle mister !!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5Eg-R1JJfsQ/TL3-Oz3bi2I/AAAAAAAAAMk/JKPlt4bBU3g/s1600/muscleMan.jpg

heh heh heh,,,,

OMG is that even real? ROTFLMAO!

Pocomoonskyeyes3
03-26-2011, 10:41 PM
I see that we have 5000 pulse members,but I would like to also know how many of them are still active?
Am I bashing the Fourm?No not at all.I just find it hypocritical that some do a lot of judgment calls with out even trying to get to know or understand the person there attacking is all.
Sorry for the rant.
Dime
I'd venture a guess of maybe a couple hundred are still "Active" members. 500 active members tops would be my guess. That would include the ones that are out of country/busy, and the "actives" that just lurk. Some of these old threads get dug up and I have no clue who most of them are and I've been a member here a couple of years.

Yeah, I know what you are saying about some of them getting "Jumped on". I try and be nice to some of them, hoping they don't just turn around, leave, and not come back.

Also you mention that the mind is the strongest tool you have in a survival situation. That also applies to being criticized. Yet you seem to think that if you aren't in tip top physical shape you don't have a chance in a "Wilderness survival scenario". Have you ever read Larry Dean Olsen's Outdoor Survival Skills? On some of his extended trips of 30 days, he found that you can't always "Judge a book by it's cover". Some people that you would think are not in good shape, actually carried some that you would think ARE in good shape. It goes back to the mental toughness you yourself mention. Some have it, some don't. Mental attitude can overcome some problems.

Ssgt_DimeBag
03-26-2011, 11:03 PM
I'd venture a guess of maybe a couple hundred are still "Active" members. 500 active members tops would be my guess. That would include the ones that are out of country/busy, and the "actives" that just lurk. Some of these old threads get dug up and I have no clue who most of them are and I've been a member here a couple of years.

Yeah, I know what you are saying about some of them getting "Jumped on". I try and be nice to some of them, hoping they don't just turn around, leave, and not come back.

Also you mention that the mind is the strongest tool you have in a survival situation. That also applies to being criticized. Yet you seem to think that if you aren't in tip top physical shape you don't have a chance in a "Wilderness survival scenario". Have you ever read Larry Dean Olsen's Outdoor Survival Skills? On some of his extended trips of 30 days, he found that you can't always "Judge a book by it's cover". Some people that you would think are not in good shape, actually carried some that you would think ARE in good shape. It goes back to the mental toughness you yourself mention. Some have it, some don't. Mental attitude can overcome some problems.

Well put,but I was not implying that you have to be in the best of shape like some buffed up Rambo type as I can tell you even them are a liability in the suck.I know I passed them types right on from my unit.No mountain climbers will even tell you a guy just to tall will not do to well on Everest.My point on the type I am talking about and I thought I made it clear as stating"A heart attack waiting to happen" is the guy that has a gut that you can use as a table holding a beer.lol
Honing ones skills does not mean you have to be some Buff Rambo type.Guys that are the type I'm talking about could not even scale a 10 foot wall.Rock climbers/Mountain climbers are very much slim,but fit.And sir Larry Dean Olsen is not someone I would call out of shape.Maybe got some age to him when he was doing his most writings,but not what I'm talking about out of shape.

rwc1969
03-27-2011, 12:59 AM
I think the lurkers have seen how some newbies are attacked by the "click",Yes I know the play on words of "Like minded people",but I'm sure most are afraid to join because of something they feel would just be attacked.Does this detour me?No.At the same time I don't see much compassion or understanding of others views.
Good healthy debate are always a good thing.Yet I see a lot of these same attackers time and time again just lasing out on people...

Am I bashing the Fourm?No not at all.I just find it hypocritical that some do a lot of judgment calls with out even trying to get to know or understand the person there attacking is all.

Sorry for the rant.
Dime

I agree with that, it's been a problem ever since I joined here. I especially don't appreciate adults ganging up on kids, and acting like kids in the process, but, I've grown used to it, it probably is the reason that a more diverse group of folks don't bother sharing their thoughts and ideas with us.

On a positive note, there's lots of room for improvement. :)

Pal334
03-27-2011, 06:57 AM
Well sir to be frank some I see are so over weight that anyone could tell that you are a liability in a survival scenario.
Do you really feel a man that is about 300 345 is going to last long humping off a mountain,or swimming a channel,or packing 45 pounds of gear?
Your mind means nothing if your body will not let you perform the most basic of functions to survive.I call this a heart attack waiting to happen.
Just walking the local park trail and snapping a picture does not put you in to the "hone survival skills area".
If your over weight it just adds to the liability.
As we all know even the most fit of people have found there selfs in a life or death situation that almost killed them.
Sports players,mountain climbers,rock climbers,former military on an outing with there child.Etc.
Were not just talking about some natural disaster that you only have to sit and wait for help.
The title of the fourm is "Wilderness Survival" and frankly the one that bash the most I have seen photos of them and feel they would never last just in the shape that there in.
If your asking to post there photos or name names?I'm not.I'm sure you mouse works as well as mine does.
From my point this was one of the reasons that I stayed a "Lurker" for a bit.

EXactly as I thought. Thanks for sharing

LowKey
03-27-2011, 07:33 AM
Hey, when you pass me having a heart attack on the trail, be sure to send up some help, ok?

oldsoldier
03-27-2011, 09:14 AM
dimebag..... IMHO when you've been around a while longer you'll realize that what you call "jumping on" is not always meant that way. While you singled out one specific thread there are dozens of others that are a "slap back to reality" Some members here are a little rough around the edges myself included. But most of it is IMO constructive critisism. You talk about being in shape? Well true someone who has " morbid obesity" could and likely would be a liability. Well what about mental shape? If you can't take someone "chewin' on your legbone" a little on an internet forum do you really think your tough enough to " make it in the bush"? You should see how sarge chewed on me for a few dumb posts I made early on in my stay here. Did I get offended and run away crying at the big bad bullies? Nope I took it as it was meant and had a "DUH" monent and realized how stupid what I had said was. A little "tough love" and I learned from it. While I was by no means a green horn when I got here, I did have a lot of training and some experience before. I learned really quickly how much I really did have left to learn.While you've made some good points, you did decide to step up and join and feel free enough to express some good points. You didn't let us old meanies run you off. Personally I'd rather have a little constructive critisim than no comment at all.

Justin Case
03-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Dime
A Knowledgeable fat person is more valuable than a skinny dummy ,, especially if you are the skinny dummy that finds yourself in a bad situation,,, This heavy "liability" as you put it could save lives with his knowledge regarding the situation,,

Pocomoonskyeyes3
03-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Dime, Larry D. Olsen was an instructor at BYU, To teach wilderness skills to students. In the book I mentioned, he specifically mentions one particular student that was a really big guy. One night as they were pushing to make a sheltered spot in the distance. That student not only made it, but with other students started cooking food, then carrying it back to stragglers and helping them to get to the campsite. When all had made it there he continued to go around and helping doctor scrapes,bruises and blisters. Yet he was not one that people would consider "Physically fit". The student was overweight. It was his mental attitude and "Never say die" approach that made him such an asset. As they were coming in with the last of the stragglers they came in singing. He also kept everyones spirits high when some were ready to give up. That type of person was what I was referring to when I said "don't judge a book by it's cover". It's really hard to say who will and who won't make it in a survival situation. This is proven each year when physically fit hunters die, while Housewives or kids and such live, in wilderness survival situations.