PDA

View Full Version : Question for Knife Makers?

pocomoonskyeyes
01-13-2010, 10:05 PM
OK, I have posted this on a Knife maker Forum, but wasn't really satisfied with the answers.So....

Come Tax Refund time I will have between $500 - $1500 to use buying the tools I need to "Set up shop" for making Knives. Yes, I have the Bug! I have NO tools - None. What do I need to Get going? I am really wanting to do this, so it isn't a passing fancy. I do have a vise in the shop but that is all. I want to use Carbon Steel, most likely O-1, since it is "so forgiving". Here is what I KNOW that I will need.
Drill Press and bits (Bit Suggestions are welcome)
Belt Sander(I know Harbor Freight has one for @ $40)
Band Saw?
Files
Hammers
clamps
O-1 Bar Stock
Scale Material
anything else?

Oh yeah I have a 55 Gallon drum wood burning Heater.

Camp10
01-13-2010, 10:15 PM
O-1 is not the cheapest steel to start with. I would start with 1085 (or 1095) or 5160. They are great knife steels and half the money. I use my table saw for splitting my scales much more then I use the band saw. I have a metal cutting bandsaw but I wouldnt worry about getting that yet either. When I started I had a 6x48 belt sander, a drill press, a bunch of files, a tablesaw, a vise, sandpaper, a few hammers and my one brick forge for heat treating. I was also armed with a copy of Wayne Goddards book $50 knife shop. I would recommend this book to anyone with the knifemaking bug.

crashdive123
01-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Poco - you can pick up some relatively inexpensive tools to do it. Some do it with very few power tools at all. Obviously that is more labor intensive. I started out with that 1 X 30 belt sander from Harbor Freight. Panch0 has been using a relatively inexpensive Craftsman grinder and you've seen what he can produce. (He did recently pick up a Bader II though). Camp10 is doing a tutorial right now on making your own. The folks that have been showing me the ropes said - you need to get a grinder. There were two camps about the one I ended up getting (Grizzly). There have been a lot of knives made with that type of grinder - and good knives. The only drawback is that since the contact wheel is mounted directly to the motor I had to get a little bit bigger wheel for grinding to the left. That set up ran me about $600. My dream grinder with all the bells and whistles was a KMG, but at about $5000 it wasn't happening.

So, here's what I use

Belt grinder for profiling and stock removal
Drill press (or hand drill if you don't have one) for holes
Angle grinder for cutting (I don't have a band saw, but may get one down the road)
Sand paper for hand sanding (the more I practice, the less of that there is but I don't think there will ever be zero)
A couple of different sized files
Vise
My temporary forge
C- clamps

I wouldn't buy steel to start. There is a lot of material out there that is cheaper (files, saw blades, etc.)
As far as scale material - use your imagination
For pins for your scales - I've been using welding tips (package of 100 for under $5) you can use gound wire or any other solid, stiff wire.
The old guys that are helping me laugh, but gloves and a face shield (I should note that when there are five of us standing around, I'm the only one so far that doesn't have stories about losing fingers)

Camp10
01-13-2010, 10:27 PM
Oh, great point about the safety gear Crash! I keep a face shield at the door and it is the first thing on and the last thing off.

panch0
01-13-2010, 10:27 PM
OK, I have posted this on a Knife maker Forum, but wasn't really satisfied with the answers.So....

Come Tax Refund time I will have between $500 - $1500 to use buying the tools I need to "Set up shop" for making Knives. Yes, I have the Bug! I have NO tools - None. What do I need to Get going? I am really wanting to do this, so it isn't a passing fancy. I do have a vise in the shop but that is all. I want to use Carbon Steel, most likely O-1, since it is "so forgiving". Here is what I KNOW that I will need.
Drill Press and bits (Bit Suggestions are welcome)
Belt Sander(I know Harbor Freight has one for @ $40)
Band Saw?
Files
Hammers
clamps
O-1 Bar Stock
Scale Material
anything else?

Oh yeah I have a 55 Gallon drum wood burning Heater.

Poco, for a belt grinder get the craftsman 2x42 that I have made 30-40 knives on. It is well worh the 140 bucks I will vouch for it. Google Darren Ellis and get a flat ceramic platen for it. I have a Ryobi 10" drill press I got from home depot for about 130 bucks.
My band saw is from HArbor freight it is the vari speed porta band with different saw blades than it came with. I use my drill press with a buffer wheel attachment I bought from sears. That is what I used to make the knives I have posted here.
Some leather working tools for sheath making.
As for drill bits use metal ones for annealed steel and carbide for hardened steel. The size depends on what size pin or bolt materials. This is a proven set up for making knives.
1080, 1084 steels are the easiest to heat treat with a wood heater you have. O1 requires a good soak at a certain temp for a certain time and really needs an oven to get the best results.

A2 is awesome as well, a bit more pricey but makes a tough blade. ATS34 and 440c steel for stainless. Thes you can send out for HT and its cheaper if you send out 12 or more blades at the same time and from the same steel.

If I left something out just ask me buddy. When you start getting the knife orders in you can save and up grade the grinder. Knifedoggs and Blade Forums are your friends. Look around and see if there are knifemaking clubs near by like Crash did.

-frank

panch0
01-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Crash has a good point on the starting out with files for steel. Also, I fond an awesome face mask and respirator at the flea market for $5 and in almost new condition. We are here to help. One thing you will find about knifemakers is we love to help new guys. I was helped by so many guys its crazy. I stand on the shoulders of giants.

panch0
01-13-2010, 10:35 PM
As for a grinder check out the last five pages of this thread, and here is a link to the cad files for the grinder frame. It is just the frame but you can save and build it slowly. You can take these files to a laser or waterjet cnc pace and they will cut out the pieces for you.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675343&page=16
http://blindhogg.com/cad.html

Ole WV Coot
01-13-2010, 11:27 PM
I have a fully equipped shop and I do use them, but with "found" steel and a bit more work you can make a great knife with your homemade forge, vice, hand drill, bits, brass welding rod, hardwood and really good files. You can find old saw blades or a piece of steel almost the width you want and either grind it to rough shape or even cut with a hacksaw after drilling the outline. 2ton epoxy and tung oil or finish of your choice. You could make one now if you had nice decent files, homemade guide and plenty of elbow grease. No reflection on the way anyone else started I just think the simple way will give you more control and more appreciation. Draw filing isn't as slow as most think. I use only the files and vice or a board and C clamps with sandpaper plus a drill. I keep about 6 blanks cut, drilled and ready for handles & cleaning but my use I just use one style blade.

gryffynklm
01-14-2010, 01:45 AM
I really cant add to the tool suggestions above, all good suggestions. GRizzly tools are fairly rugged especially for the price.

I just met a farrier a few months back, He gave me a half dozen files about 2"x12" he said he goes through files quite a bit. You can ask any farriers you may know. He recommended that I bring them up to a good yellow heat and allow them to cool with out quenching before I do any work on them at the forge. Scrap prices are at a low right now, If you know of a machine shop or metal fabricator, they might be willing to part with some cut offs.

Enjoy

Camp10
01-15-2010, 06:59 AM
Poco, if you want to try your hand with a 1x30 belt grinder I can help you out. I have one collecting dust in my shop and if you PM me I can send it your way with the handful of belts I have for it.

pocomoonskyeyes
01-15-2010, 12:44 PM
PM sent...!!

rebel
01-17-2010, 10:29 AM
I can only think of one more tool, a camera. We gotta see your knives!

pocomoonskyeyes
01-17-2010, 12:19 PM
OK the belt grinder is Taken care of thanks to Camp 10!! I priced a drill press and a tabletop bandsaw, combined they are less than $250, brand new from Lowe's. Bench Grinder? Is that something I would need, or would the belt Grinder fill that need? The only advantage I could see is wire wheels,and buffing wheels,stuff like that.

We have a camera...so that is taken care of.