PDA

View Full Version : Quinzee!

rwc1969
01-13-2010, 12:46 AM
4 days ago I built one. Here it is! http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m50/shroomer69/Bushcraft%20in%20Michigan/?action=view&current=100_1866.flv

I'm no expert, but I suggest you consult one if you plan to use a quinzee, or snow shelter as it's called in english, in an emergency situation or otherwise. Then, construct one and see how it goes so you're not left surprised and unprepared when you need it most. After building this and seeing it degrade over the past 4 days there are changes I would make. I discuss a few below and in the vids.

These ARE NOT instructional videos and I'm not trying to show off. Constructive critisism is welcome. These are just my observations of the process. It's pretty basic stuff and if you want to know the process just google "quinzee" and you can watch people shovel snow all day long.

There are three parts to the video and also some pictures. It is raw/ unedited/ unscripted/ uncut footage. I had problems with the camera to start, but got it worked out after changing the batteries 3 times and letting the camera adjust to the cold a bit.

SAFETY FIRST! A few important tips. I've watched a few vids, read books and blogs about construction and here are a couple points that some left out. Some of these aren't my ideas and I give credit below.

1. You shouldn't do this alone because it can cave in and entomb you causing suffocation. The snow is heavy, some say one or two tons. I did an estimate based on square feet, cubic feet and the average weights of snow as calculated by the National Weather Service. My snow shelter most likely weighs between 4 and 6 tons. 8,000-12,000+ pounds, which leads us too...

2. If you build this on ice make sure the ice can support the weight.:smash:

3. When starting construction don't lie flat. If the snow caves in it will pin you down. Try to stay on your knees or at least in a bent position. This will at least give you some wiggle room and possibly a little extra air in case it collapses on you. Don't lie completely stretched out and flat at any time during or after construction.:art:

4. When sleeping inside keep a digging tool beside you. If it caves you will hopefully be able to reach it and dig yourself out.

5. Create a small vent hole near the top of the shelter and don't seal the doorway completely. Snow breathes, but at these thicknesses it doesn't breath as much as you. You can fall asleep and never wake up.

6. Don't use anything more than a small candle for light or heat as it will melt the shelter, create CO or deprive you of oxygen. This shelter is designed to keep you from freezing to death in sub-arctic conditions, not keep you warm and cozy. It is not designed to be much warmer than the freezing point of water.

Examples: I was in the shelter on three different occasions for 2-3 hours a pop. With a candle for light and the door open it was 32 degrees F inside and 13 outside, 32 inside and 23 outside, 35 inside and 28 outside. At one point it was 28 inside and another it was 40. As long as the shelter entrance is blocked from the wind and you have 2 small openings, one down low and one up high, it should hover around freezing regardless of the temperature outside. I repeat "should"! LOL!

7. Make sure you mix the snow thoroughly and pile it on loosely. This is what makes the snow bond and prevents it from forming layers which will lead to collapse. Don't stomp it down as you pile it up. You are defeating the purpose of it's design and possibly creating an unsafe environment. the snow will take different amounts of time to bond based on it's consistency and the outside temp. I left mine eighteen hours before digging out and it dug out easily with a roofing shovel, my hands and a forked stick. Your mileage will vary!:cold:

8. Let the snow fall naturally and always pile toward the center of the mound. This will create a natural gravity based dome and will help prevent collapse. The top should not be flat. Mine is because it has sat for 4 days in bright sun. The top either evaporated or settled that way. Originally, it was pointed and slightly rounded at the top.

9. I said I was gonna spend the night, but I'm not. The inside has sunk so much that I will have to rearrange the bed in order to fit. After tomorrow it will most likely be unsafe to inhabit because we are due for a warmup. We'll see.

That's all I can think of offhand.

Two more things! :) For added warmth only carve out as much as you need for a sleeping area and one small spot to sit upright for changing clothes, etc. I got carried away and mine is big enough to sleep 3-4 people comfortably, the equivalent of a 4 man dome tent. Leave the roof low because heat rises. Cover the entire floor with a good pack of snow and make a cold well near the entrance.

I wanna thank and give credit to Mors Kochanski and Cody Lundin as theirs', in part, is the only advice I followed.

your_comforting_company
01-13-2010, 08:01 AM
good stuff rwc! thanks for sharing!
no snow here, but this is very detailed and a good vid.

nell67
01-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Great information/video RWC! Thanks fo sharing.

hunter63
01-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Good job! Thanks!
Lots of work, but a very good idea to try out stuff like this before you "Need to", nothing beats doing it.

gryffynklm
01-13-2010, 01:15 PM
RWC, thanks for the video and post.

trax
01-13-2010, 01:56 PM
nicely done rwc

rwc1969
01-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks!

It's definitely tough work. Some sources say shoveling snow is equal to running at 9 miles an hour for an equal amount of time. Considering I was using a deep sled, snow shovel and roofing shovel for most of the work it'd be much harder to do if you were using your hands, a stick or other primitive methods. You'd get much colder and wet too.

The hardest part is finding an area big enough to draw snow from. If there's grass, saplings and such it makes the job 10 times more difficult.

I tried this once in a field and all the snow was tied up in the grass and briers. It was virtually impossible to move the snow. Tried it again in the woods and had the same problem. I guess a wide open field of low grass or a lake would be the easiest option. In reality this is designed for much colder climates with little greenery and much more snow. I think I'm at or just past the southern most border for something like this to be considered an effective survival shelter option.

crashdive123
01-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Well done. Are you going to spend a night in it to see how it works?

Ole WV Coot
01-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Well done, and lessons learned.

rwc1969
01-13-2010, 04:38 PM
NO! I wanted to Crash, but after 5 days it's looking pretty weak. Plus I'm back to school now and overwhelmed with homework. The roof has flattened out and the interior has shrunk which has made my sleeping area too small. I'm starting to see light thru the south facing wall and it's almost 40 F today and sunny.

Weird thing about snow is even if it doesn't melt it still evaporates. I'm not sure if that is the case in colder climates. Eventhough it's been below freezing, until today, the sun and settling have reduced it's size greatly. I can no longer sit up inside and it's about a foot and a half shorter overall.

Next time I build one it will be for sleeping in. I'll make the changes I discussed and give it a real go. This was mainly just a learning experience for the build process.

The reason I mentioned the safety stuff is because as kids we would make snow forts inside plowed up snow piles and stuff. We had one with many rooms and tunnels, murder holes and all. LOL! One day my brother's little friend disappeared. My bro went to check the fort and low and behold it had caved in on him and he couldn't get out. He had been in there for half a day, completely immobilized by the cave in, and was blue and shivering. Luckily, he was just cold, hypothermic, and didn't suffer any long term negative effects. But, if my bro hadn't went and checked he'da been dead. He dug the walls too thin and my bro was PO'd about that and wasn't even concerned that he almost died. He was just mad that his friend wrecked the fort. LOL!

2dumb2kwit
01-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Cool shelter!
(HeHe, I crack myself up!):innocent:

klkak
01-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Good video, Thank you.