PDA

View Full Version : I have a question for all of you

SARKY
01-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Has anyone here gotten a carbon fiber barrel for your rifle other than a 10-22?
I'm thinkink about putting one on my Ruger M-77 which will be chambered in 6.5 Grendel. I'm also looking at one on my AR.

canid
01-11-2010, 05:45 PM
i didn't even know they made them. assuming a quality liner, i guess the strength to weight would be unbeatable.

SARKY
01-11-2010, 07:09 PM
If you do a google search for "carbon fiber rifle barrels" , you will find a bunch of info. I am just trying to find some actual hands on opinions.
Both of my 10-22s have the Volquartsen carbon fiber barrels, and i love them. But I have no experience with centerfire carbon fiber barrels and am looking for some insight.

Beo
01-11-2010, 07:48 PM
i didn't even know they made them. assuming a quality liner, i guess the strength to weight would be unbeatable.

Ditto and co-sign on this, but I just gotta trust a steel barrel, that stuff is great but as a barrel I'm kinda skeptic.

glockcop
01-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Ditto and co-sign on this, but I just gotta trust a steel barrel, that stuff is great but as a barrel I'm kinda skeptic.

Me too. Never shot but did handled them before. Generally the forward weight of the rifle (aka "balance") is too feathery for my taste. I do hear good things about them though. Great heat dissipation would be an advantage for me. They also make for a much more bulky barrel. For many they do have their advantages. I'm unjustifiably a little leary of a barrel that is not 100% steel. Call it a "Phobia", I guess. Best.