PDA

View Full Version : Just my luck.

2dumb2kwit
01-10-2010, 01:22 PM
A while back, I got what I thought was a good deal, on a PSL. It actually was a pretty good deal, at the time, and then they got a little scarce and the prices went up. I thought I may have actually made a good investment. Yesterday, I got a sale paper in the mail, from a gun place that now has them on sale....CHEAP.:sneaky2:

Well, so much for an investment, but if anyone has been thinking about getting one.....

(Centerfire........$450)
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/DRA-GUN-B.aspx

Camp10
01-10-2010, 01:50 PM
I've only ever been able to make money off older guns. Have you fired yours or is it a wall hanger?

Rick
01-10-2010, 02:03 PM
They can call that what they want but I don't think that's what it is. Look closely at it. I think that's an FPK, which is a Kalishnakov AK that's been restyled to look like the SVD and chambered for 7.62. Look at the safety lever on it.

2dumb2kwit
01-10-2010, 02:06 PM
I've only ever been able to make money off older guns. Have you fired yours or is it a wall hanger?

It's a shooter. I got it (used) from a guy I worked with. I wasn't really thinking of it as an investment, it's just the thought of it. LOL

Ya know....it wouldn't be a bad defense gun, if TSHTF. Magazine fed semi-auto.....firing 7.62x54R....4X scope(that is a very clear scope), not to mention that you can still get ammo for about $170 per case.(880 rounds)

2dumb2kwit
01-10-2010, 02:09 PM
They can call that what they want but I don't think that's what it is. Look closely at it. I think that's an FPK, which is a Kalishnakov AK that's been restyled to look like the SVD and chambered for 7.62. Look at the safety lever on it.

That's why I called it a PSL. It's not a real Dragonov.(SP) I don't know why they call it what they do.

2dumb2kwit
01-10-2010, 02:10 PM
This may help.

http://www.dragunov.net/

Rick
01-10-2010, 02:12 PM
From what I gather it's an importer marking. Other than that, I don't know.

Do you know if these are new or used? They have some great prices on Saigas and others if these are new.

Rick
01-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Also, can someone tell me if 7.62x54R is 7.62 Nagant or 7.62 NATO? I assume Nagant but I'd like to verify.

2dumb2kwit
01-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Also, can someone tell me if 7.62x54R is 7.62 Nagant or 7.62 NATO? I assume Nagant but I'd like to verify.

7.62x54R is what is used in the Mosin Nagant, and all of the PSL's that I've seen. (I have heard of some PSL's being chambered in .308/7.62 nato, but I've never seen one.)

(Also....7.62 Nato is 7.62x51)

It is advised, that you only use 7.62 x54R "light ball", (Less than 150 gr. bullet.) in the PSL's. It seems that they don't like the higher pressures of they heavy stuff.

Rick
01-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Do you know if these are new or used?

2dumb2kwit
01-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Do you know if these are new or used?

I think they are new....or at least called new. The ones that I have seen are the ones that Tenn. guns builds with a mix of Romanian and US parts.

hunter63
01-10-2010, 02:34 PM
7.62x54r is a Nagant with a rimmed case. (rim sticks out like a 30-30)
NATO is 7.62 X 51 or essentially a .308.
I'm thinking a lot of people got caught up in the "2009 gun- run", but like real estste, won't go down much in price.

I'd just shoot it, have fun and wait.
Good site 2dum.

2dumb2kwit
01-10-2010, 02:38 PM
I'd just shoot it, have fun and wait.
Good site 2dum.

That was my intention, all along, it just struck me as odd. I've never had a gun "lose" value, before.

(But then again, up until a couple of years ago, I had never seen real-estate do it, either.):innocent:

2dumb2kwit
01-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Copied from dragunov site, linked to in other post.

A Romanian-built commercial PSL sold in the US and imported by either Century Arms International or InterOrdnance (above).

Century Arms International called the rifle a ROMAK-3 (early imports) and PSL-54C (current imports).

InterOrdnance called the rifle SSG-97.

The Tennessee Guns rifles are assembled in the US on Romanian receivers which are stamped either DRAGUNOV or FPK.

All these versions are PSL rifles.

All recently imported PSL rifles are manufactured in Romania on commercial receivers and assembled with parts from demilled military rifles that are refinished.

The magazines are marked with the receiver's serial number are are often hand-fitted to the rifle. The scopes are also hand-fitted to the side rail on the receiver. Many recent imports of PSLs do not have factory fitted scopes or magazines. This results in scopes that either do not fit the rail or are mounted slightly crooked making the scope reticle off-center, and magazines that will not lock in place or will not feed reliably.

Other common problems are canted (crooked) front sights and receivers not drilled for all the butt stock mounting screws.

hunter63
01-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Friend of mine is air traffic controller.
Has his own plane, twin engine Cessna, got it from an old guy in Kansas.

The guy told him when he was wheeling and dealing;
"Son, invest your money in firearms and airplanes, they go up in value, 'cause if you spend it on women and cars, you'll loose your azz."
I believe that.