PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1895SS .45/70 Questions

aflineman
01-09-2010, 04:24 AM
Anyone have a Marlin 1895SS .45/70? I may be picking one up on a trade and would like to know about anything that I may need to look out for. I have an NEF Handi-rifle in .45/70, so the caliber itself is not really new to me. I am looking at this rifle for the black bear around here, and maybe to do some hog hunting (looks like there may be some moving in on a friend's property). Plus I find the .45/70 pretty fun to shoot. I do reload and may be getting into casting for it in the future.
Anyway, information on this model of rifle would be appreciated.
Thanks

Pal334
01-09-2010, 06:37 AM
I handled one and fired one that belonged to a friend some time ago. It seemed to feel good, was a natural pointer to me. And the 45-70 as you know was good. Unfortunately have not had a chance to get further familiar with it.

Camp10
01-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Plus I find the .45/70 pretty fun to shoot.

That thing is fun to you? I'll call you sir!! Honestly though, I have a Marlin 45/70 and I've never had any issues with it. It works fine, shoots accurate and is smooth. Marlins are a little heavier than they need to be and it does help with that caliber. I also have to say that I havnt taken it into the woods in 7 or 8 years because there are other calibers I prefer. It does hold the record for most impressive deer kill I've ever made. It took a 7 pointer right off its feet and dumped it on its side from about 50 yards. I have never made a deer "fly" before!

crashdive123
01-09-2010, 09:00 AM
I had a Ruger No. 1 45/70. I wish I still had it. It was fun seeing what a 450 grain bullet (hand loaded by friend) could do.

hunter63
01-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Always wanted a 45/70 trap door Springfield, shot one, loaded with black powder rounds at the range once.
Couldn't justify (yet) spending the money for one (yet).

Soooo,
I did buy a 45/70 barrel for my NF/H&R Handi Rifle "system".
Think it was $55 bucks at the time, 2003.

Good shooter, haven't used it yet as a hunting rifle, though it is legal in Louisiana during muzzle-loader season. Considered a "traditional round", in a single shot.

You would think that in a small, light, Handi Rifle, it would rip your arm off, but as I was shooting factory loaded rounds, 300 gr, it seems more of a "push" than a kick.

I did see a Ruger #1 Stainless/laminate stock, used, for sale at a toy store, was sorta lusting after it, but in the end put it down.

To me the Marlin lever gun in 45/70 is a real good brush gun, for most anything in North America.
I also re-load the 45/70 (expensive to buy), and as far as casting goes, they are slow enough to not get into velocity problems with cast bullets, especially w/gas checks.
Haven't got the mold yet, but on my list.

I not proclaiming on being an expert on reloading, but:
In doing a little reading on the Marlin lever gun, w/cast bullets, seems that round nose bullets are preferred, for tube magazines and feeding clearances in the Marlin.
Total over length of reloads are also mentioned as being fairly critical. (OAL).

If your really wanting to get into it, these boys know their stuff, and I hang out here also.
http://shootersforum.com/index.htm

Ole WV Coot
01-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Don't know a thing about the rifle, but I do know round is for keeping anything pointy away from the primer in front of it.

aflineman
01-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Well, I pulled the trigger (pun intended) and this thing is VERY accurate. It is a shoulder thumper. I need to load up some powder puff loads for it. Still very fun though.

Edit to add: Thank You for your advice and info.

crashdive123
01-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Congrats. Shoot straight and enjoy.

hunter63
01-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Well, I pulled the trigger (pun intended) and this thing is VERY accurate. It is a shoulder thumper. I need to load up some powder puff loads for it. Still very fun though.

Congrats, you done good.
Your gonna love it.
Just don't use it for stop signs, you won't even feel shooting it at game.

aflineman
01-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Congrats, you done good.
Your gonna love it.
Just don't use it for stop signs, you won't even feel shooting it at game.

I am looking forward hunting with it. I was planning on installing a scope, but I like shooting open sights for now.