PDA

View Full Version : Atlatl

Hook-n-Bull
04-06-2007, 12:44 AM
Has anyone on here ever made an Atlatl and if so successfully used it to take down game. When I was a kid we had a Native American history day, and this lady came and showed the class different artifacts which included bows atlatls and other traps. What a thing to show a group of 10 year old boys. Yea well you know what happened next every limb on every tree that was 4 feet or less off the ground was missing and every piece of string in the house was gone. I built several but never had the patience to stick anything more than a coke can. Anyone else built and use one of theses.

Description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlatl

cavedawg
04-07-2007, 08:56 AM
Yes I have made Atlatl's. About 300+. It has become a hobby of mine that I picked up after taking some Primitive Bow making classes. Once introduced to the atlatl I left the bow scene and have been deeply involved in making Atlatl's, the education, demonstration and also competing in accuracy tournaments with them for approx. 13 years now. I have yet to hunt with it, as it was illegal up to last month, in the state of Missouri. A friend and I have been the driving factor, in the legalization of the Atlatl as a acceptable means of taking game. We lobbied for a couple years and were successful getting into the regulations hand booklet this year (2007). We were able to get it for everything (including fishing) BUT deer and turkey. Deer and Trukey is under review and pending further studies, but it is a step in the right direction. I welcome any additional questions about making them and as soon as I go out hunting / fishing with my thrower and dart I will respond on my long anticipated experience.

the edge
04-08-2007, 08:43 PM
ive never but it sounds cool

Tony uk
06-11-2007, 02:22 PM
I have one, Im sure it tells you how to make them on this site somewhere, There pritty easy to make if you have the time and if you can get close is good for killing small game but you have to be good at it before you start hitting anything :p