PDA

View Full Version : Home Based Electricity

Chris
02-04-2007, 04:02 PM
If you do not live in a city you probably get all your utilities through electricity. You'll have electric lights of course, but then also your own well for water which is more than likely powered by an electric pump. Then your heat will be electric as well, or atleast the fan blowing the heat around the house will be.

Thus in the event of a disaster when you lose public utilities you'll need to at the very least provide your own electricity.

So solar panels and home wind turbines are a must. In the long run without a disaster you'll save money, and if there is a disaster you'll be thankful for that electricity. Even if you have to ratio it to only power vital things like your water pump. That is enough.

It is of course also important to have an energy efficient home, so you can do more with that electricity once you have it.

rubybeetle
02-12-2007, 07:34 PM
We've been using solar power for quite a few years. We're off the grid and I love not having the bill. Our system has already paid itself off! It's funny when family calls when during a power outage to see if our power is out. :D

taiarain
02-13-2007, 12:51 AM
One of my goals is to move to exclusively off the grid power. I'd like to have solar as my primary source with wind and human generated as back ups. It'll take time and money to get to be exactly where I want though.

arppt01
02-13-2007, 11:33 AM
I would say that for lack of awareness on Solar Power I have not started using it. There is no denying of the fact that Solar Energy is the future.

rubybeetle
02-13-2007, 09:28 PM
One of my goals is to move to exclusively off the grid power. I'd like to have solar as my primary source with wind and human generated as back ups. It'll take time and money to get to be exactly where I want though.

Good luck! It is great. We only have a gas generator as a backup, which we never use because we're fortunate to live in sunny AZ. Next year we're adding a wind turbine to our system.

echos
02-14-2007, 08:42 PM
When I was a kid, on the farm, we had a windmill and that ran the milking machines, when it was windy. It was windy alot, then one day the windmill blew down. End of free electric power.My Dad , never re-built it, it was a shame too, cause the electric bill was a fortune.

Wolf Creek
02-14-2007, 10:09 PM
I really like the benefits of solar energy sounds great. I'm not sure I could convert my three story house to solar. Is it practical to do just one story like say the top story only?

Chris
02-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Your panels would feed directly into your home's powered supply and supplement the existing electricity. It isn't an all-or-nothing situation, you can have solar panels and still have a hookup to your local electric company (most people do).

If you're in a state that has net metering laws it gets better. You don't have to buy expensive batteries, instead your solar panels can feed directly into the grid and your electric meter will actual run in reverse during the day, then at night you pull it back off.

arppt01
02-15-2007, 04:15 AM
Your panels would feed directly into your home's powered supply and supplement the existing electricity. It isn't an all-or-nothing situation, you can have solar panels and still have a hookup to your local electric company (most people do).

If you're in a state that has net metering laws it gets better. You don't have to buy expensive batteries, instead your solar panels can feed directly into the grid and your electric meter will actual run in reverse during the day, then at night you pull it back off.

This is a great solution. :) It doesn't look to me difficult at all and we can install it at our home.

taiarain
02-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Good luck! It is great. We only have a gas generator as a backup, which we never use because we're fortunate to live in sunny AZ. Next year we're adding a wind turbine to our system.

It won't happen in the house we're currently in. We'll either have to rebuild or move, the former being my desire. I do what I can in my current situation though. Solar battery charger, solar landscape lighting, etc. I want to move more household items to battery power or solar power. I think I'm going to have to learn about wiring though.

Any electrical geeks on here? LOL

illinia
04-22-2007, 07:09 AM
Dont ignore your car it is a great battery charger.I use a jumppac to store power on my daily commute and use the power later.

mangyhyena
07-31-2007, 07:58 AM
I really like the idea of putting your car to use charging batteries during the commute to work. I mean, if you've got to drive anyway why not charge a few batteries while you're at it.

Hydro is attractive to me. Barring a drought or cold winters it produces electricity 24/7. At least the batteries will be charging while you sleep. And I've heard larger diesel generators shouldn't be overlooked either, especially if you're capable of obtaining and using vegetable oil to produce bio-diesel. If nothing else it would make a nice backup to your alternative energy system. I say diesel because diesels out-live gas generators by quite a long shot and are less maintenance intensive. Gasoline generators are great for emergencies, but larger diesels can power the whole house easier and are more fuel efficient. Plus, also, in addition to--- You can purchase diesel sans the road tax so long as you're not using it in your vehicle in most places, which beats the tar out of gasoline prices when you have the delivery service fill up one or two 50 gallon drums.

And I couldn't agree more about making your place as energy efficient as possible. Why make electricity if you're going to wast it and fall short by nightfall, sitting in the dark wondering why there's no juice left to run anything? lol

Oudoceus
08-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the LP gas powered generators?

cw0203
08-01-2007, 02:42 PM
yes, my neighbor had one installed at his house when it was built. I live in an extremely rural area and power outages aren't uncommon. We've lost power on several occasions since then and he has had absolutely no problems with his. He has his fridge, entertainment center, ac, water pump, and hot water heater on it and it's been great for him. I'm actually kinda jealous..........LOL!!

All I have is a small gas generator, but it's all I really need.